For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
If you regularly pump tyres up to the required pressure as indicated on the gauge, the subsequent tyre wear will tell you if it is a bit over/under inflated.

Some vehicles are better than others at letting the driver/rider feel what is going on. Try a nice twisty road to assess the handling as that will give clues if the tyres are over/under inflated.

I have a michelin branded footpump. I am not making any claims to its accuracy, it is just what I got many years ago from Halfords with a limited choice to replace a cheap plastic footpump that broke.
It is good enough for my needs for road use and I get better than average mileage out of my tyres.
Have a word with your local vehicle service garage ( or aircraft maintainer) and ask if you can cross check your gauge(s) with theirs - they will very likely be in some quality assurance scheme or other and have their gauges accuracy checked/tested regularly.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:If you regularly pump tyres up to the required pressure as indicated on the gauge, the subsequent tyre wear will tell you if it is a bit over/under inflated.

I regularly inflate my tyres to the higher pressures in the book, for fully loaded motorway driving. I inflate them with a gauge that I know under reads a bit as well. However I find that my tyres still wear more at the edges. How does that work?
If even wear either side, then still under-inflated.

If uneven at the front then toe in/toe out or other suspension alignment.

If uneven at the rear then suspension alignment or bent chassis.

All tyres worn on right hand side, you're entering and leaving roundabouts too quickly.

All tyres worn on left hand side you are going around the roundabout itself too quickly.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote: However I find that my tyres still wear more at the edges. How does that work?

When did you last have the geometry checked and adjusted?

As for the original question, we have something very similar to this in the hangar cupboard, though there's no no way of knowing if it is accurate or not. But it does look the part.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-69924-P ... th=1&psc=1

Rob P
Torque wrenches are a bit like tyre pressure gauges, no matter how expensive they are - they can be miles out. That’s why we had to calibrate against a certified unit. Plant pressure gauges are calibrated annually against (the oddly called) sub-standard gauges.
By avtur3
Rob P wrote:
Paul_Sengupta wrote: However I find that my tyres still wear more at the edges. How does that work?

When did you last have the geometry checked and adjusted?

As for the original question, we have something very similar to this in the hangar cupboard, though there's no no way of knowing if it is accurate or not. But it does look the part.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-69924-P ... th=1&psc=1

Rob P

I use this one, there's no way of knowing it's absolute accuracy, however it's robust and easy to use. It's actually easy to use single handed and focus attention on getting a good first time seal on the tyre valve. One annoying feature of almost every gauge you'll find is that their full scale deflection readings are way higher than needed for typical car tyres. The Draper has an FSD of 100psi for 3/4 of a revolution of the needle. which means the likely most used part of the scale say 25 - 45psi is squeezed into an unnecessarily small section of the dial. I think it would be far better if the max reading was 50 perhaps 60psi for the 3/4 revolution, which would make it easier to read more accurately when trying to set the exact psi. I bought the Draper because I couldn't find a half decent make with a lower FSD.
Rob P liked this
By skydriller
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:It is good enough for my needs for road use and I get better than average mileage out of my tyres.

So what exactly is "average milage"?

On a the well known forum for Stuttgart's finest, the general consensus is that if you get more than 10k miles out of a set of boots, you arent driving it how it is supposed to be driven... :wink:

Regards, SD..
skydriller wrote:So what exactly is "average milage"?

25K out the last set, not bad for a 4x4 on these roads. Used to get a lot more when doing motorway miles.

Of more concern to me is getting the aeroplane tyre pressure right. At pressures between 10-20 a few lbs is a big difference. Then there's tarmac vs (soft) grass vs effect of not greasing it on. :D
Charles Hunt wrote:I did think about using the 20p for 5 mins at the local filling station but wasn't convinced that that would be any more accurate.

If you pay 20p on a forecourt machine, don’t be surprised if you get 20p worth of knowledge...

I meant a proper reputable service bay, where engineers use the the kit and have it tested regularly.