For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
skydriller wrote:
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:It is good enough for my needs for road use and I get better than average mileage out of my tyres.

So what exactly is "average milage"?

On a the well known forum for Stuttgart's finest, the general consensus is that if you get more than 10k miles out of a set of boots, you arent driving it how it is supposed to be driven... :wink:

Regards, SD..

The young whipper snappers cant keep up when I am just "cruising". I let them catch me on the straights. :lol:
I have had comments the brake lights dont work.... oh you mean these ones... (dont use them if dont need to brake)
:wink:
Of course completely un-necessary use of the brakes by the vast majority of road users wears out the tyres quicker and increases congestion, pollution, journey times and fatigue.

As for the motorbike, most people dont use the suspension adjusters to set up the bike for their weight and riding style and that makes a huge difference to tyre life not just how heavy handed someone is with the throttle and brakes.
Charles Hunt wrote:All tyres worn on right hand side, you're entering and leaving roundabouts too quickly.

All tyres worn on left hand side you are going around the roundabout itself too quickly.

"too quickly" :lol:
That can still be in full control with no slides well within the performance capability of the vehicle. :wink:

All tyres on one axle worn on the inner edge can be speed humps.
Mechanics have reported some cars go in for a service with the tyres worn down to the wires on the inner edge as the owner cant see the inner edge as easily (or never looks). After getting cut hands some say its one of the first things they check when up on the ramps.
By Rob P
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:All tyres on one axle worn on the inner edge can be speed humps.

How so? I can't see the mechanics of that. :scratch:

GAFlyer4Fun wrote:That can still be in full control with no slides

Just one of the joys of motoring that stability control, or whatever the manufacturer chooses to call it, has deprived us of.

Rob P
Rob, you don't drive over the middle of speed humps do you?

Straddle if possible, but if not one wheel over the middle the other along the edge.

We are talking about 'tank trap' ones here, not full width.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Charles Hunt wrote:Rob, you don't drive over the middle of speed humps do you? Straddle if possible, but if not one wheel over the middle the other along the edge. We are talking about 'tank trap' ones here, not full width.

If I was to do that in my car Id either rip off the bottom of it, or get grounded out... I hate speed bumps with a passion... :furious: :guns:
Rob P liked this
I hate them too.

For some humps there is no option but to straddle them. I was referring to the humps that only occupy the central part of the lane and not full width humps or tables.

Some humps are too tall and have lots of scrapes from the underside of other vehicles. (usually scraping part of the exhaust system, and I meant factory fitted standard exhausts so cant blame it all on aftermarket exhausts).

The up-side on the hump can be too steep so have to go very slow (annoying others with their modern suspension designed for such humps!) to avoid the front shock absorbers getting a beating that wears them out quicker.

If dont straddle the hump, the only wheel on that axle that is going over the hump is putting an asymmetric load/strain on the chassis/suspension which is not great for a road car not designed for "off-road" obstacle challenges.
MikeE liked this
Talking of 'speed bumps' does no one, on approaching a bump, edge over to one side then sharply steer, left or right as appropriate, to cross it at an angle? Not always possible I know but it does smooth the bump to a noticeable extent.

Of pressure gauges I still use one of the 'pencil' gauges I've had for decades.
Cessna571 liked this
There isn’t a speed bump in the county, but weren’t these things supposed to be dismantled due to vehicles slowing down then speeding up after crossing them thereby causing more air pollution/fuel waste ?
... also the arthritic people that feel every jolt from a speed bump... obviously their views were not considered. With an ageing population probably quite a lot have arthritis although it is not just an old persons problem.

Surely all the global warming / eco warriors would be protesting if they knew speed humps caused pollution and fuel waste (also energy waste for electric vehicles).

Many years ago a bus on its normal route went over one of my local speed bumps and a passenger received a spinal fracture. That was a hump that is not full width of the lane but gives a vertical component to the jolt if go over without seeing it. In response the council painted a white triangle on the hump up slope to make it more visible in wet weather.
rf3flyer wrote:Talking of 'speed bumps' does no one, on approaching a bump, edge over to one side then sharply steer, left or right as appropriate, to cross it at an angle? Not always possible I know but it does smooth the bump to a noticeable extent..

Never seen that done. It also depends on the wheel sizes and width of car.
Modern vehicles have got wider and no longer fit in standard sized garages.
Most people just straight line speed bumps like they are not there.
Some slow down for them and straight line them... perhaps whilst being tailgated.

I dare say if I did the suggested steering sharply left/right the reduction in forward speed would be completely unexpected by a tailgater resulting in a shunt. Rather not have the hassle.
By rf3flyer
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Never seen that done...

...would be completely unexpected by a tailgater resulting in a shunt.

I do it but only when there is no other traffic in my immediate vicinity. Certainly would not were I being tailgated.
But then I'm not walloping over the speed bumps at much above walking pace.

You can figure out the dynamics though. The swerve lengthens the up and down slopes but also separates the left / right wheel strikes so it all feels less harsh on the car.
The plot thickens.

Pumped tyres up to 40 psi on Halfords electric pump. Check with cheapo Chinese gauge. 30 psi. Swap sealing ring from 2nd cheapo Chinese gauge to replace long perished one in decades old Draper gauge. Also 30 psi.

Local stockists don't have much available but eventually find a digital one at machine mart, get it home and out of blister pack, batteries are already horribly corroded and furred so take it straight back.

On a tyre pressure odyssey decided to check Zoe's Fiesta, only to find that the electrical plug on her pump doesn't match the socket in the car.

If the Halfords pump is under-reading by 10 psi that would explain why 2 cars ago the fronts were showing classic signs of under inflation.