For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Josh
Sooty25 wrote:
Josh wrote:and the awful mess that is liability with a pilot on board.

the responsibility of safe navigation remains with the Master of the Vessel even when there is a Pilot on board. A pilot should be considered merely as a "local guide".

I suspect once m’learned friends get involved the arguments in court won’t be that simple.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Obviously difficult to separate fact and fiction but I've seen a comment about winds blowing across the canal and with the 'sail area' (side profile of the vessel) above the waterline, being of the order of 18,000 sq metres. this may have lead to difficulties in controlling direction, also combined with poor visibility, winds causing a sand storm.

I imagine the inertia of 200,000 tons even traveling slowly might be enough to bury the bow into the embankment.

The Ever Green has previously been involved in a collision, with another vessel, in high winds, in October 2019, in Hamburg.
By Sooty25
Many years ago, I had the fortune (misfortune?) to work in the Gulf of Suez. It is very flat in places along the canal. It is quite odd as you drive towards it through flat desert, as you see tankers and cargo ships seemingly ploughing through open desert.

By Bill McCarthy
Get all the ships parked up north and south lined up alongside each other stern towards the beached ship, drop their stern anchors and go full ahead to pump water into the canal to raise the level - simples :D
Trent772 liked this
By rikur_
Joe Reynolds, chief engineer of the Maersk Ohio, told the BBC on Friday that the number of vessels waiting at the canal's southern entrance was "growing exponentially".

Exponentially? Do ships breed and multiply when in close proximity? Surely the number of vessels waiting would grow linearly?
Iceman, MikeB, Charles Hunt and 3 others liked this
By MikeB
rikur_ wrote:
Joe Reynolds, chief engineer of the Maersk Ohio, told the BBC on Friday that the number of vessels waiting at the canal's southern entrance was "growing exponentially".

Exponentially? Do ships breed and multiply when in close proximity? Surely the number of vessels waiting would grow linearly?

Thats why he is the Chief Engineer rather than the Master :lol:
Iceman, Flyin'Dutch', johnm liked this
By CloudHound
I saw an early report of a suspect gust of wind.

Have authorities hunted this suspect down? No!

It’s outrageous to leave these suspect gusts free to roam.
Trent772 liked this
By rikur_
Another good one this morning...
Although strong tides and winds complicated efforts to free the ship, the tugboats managed to move it 30 degrees in two directions.

Two directions? Hopefully not the stern 30 degrees clockwise, and the bow 30 degrees anti-clockwise - that would be a bit bent.