For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nero wrote:They're gonna need a bigger canal.

In all seriousness, could this be part of the problem?
I mean, when the canal was built (victorian times), the ships using it would not be in the same league as those we see today - in the same vein as airports built in the 60s having to cope with 747s/A380s.

Regards, SD..
Iceman liked this
By PeteSpencer
Stern freed this morning but by 1pm BBC News stern blown back aground by 'strong winds' :roll:
By -DV8R-

Very biblical way to get rid of the containers.... very timely too, for Passover.

Safe sailings and landings! DV8R
By Rob L
-DV8R- wrote:Image

Very biblical way to get rid of the containers.... very timely too, for Passover.

Safe sailings and landings! DV8R

If politics is banned on these forums, so should religion. (I'm a gentile with all my body parts intact).
By PeteSpencer
Genuine question for our sea-faring forumites;
Are those individual tall stacks of containers interlinked in some way at intervals up to the top with the next stack or are they completely free standing justrelying on the inter- locking pegs or whatever they are called at the corner of each container?
By rikur_
if we're doing genuine questions....
I assume there's some sort of equivalent of ATC to sequence the ships through the canal? Watching online, it almost looks like they're being vectored in in sequence from the med'.
By townleyc
skydriller wrote:
Nero wrote:They're gonna need a bigger canal.

In all seriousness, could this be part of the problem?
I mean, when the canal was built (victorian times), the ships using it would not be in the same league as those we see today - in the same vein as airports built in the 60s having to cope with 747s/A380s.

Regards, SD..

Just like all those airfields built in the 40's are only suitable for small towns :?

KE
By VRB_20kt
The educational aims of the BBC continue apace.

“But high tides helped the tugs and dredgers in their work and early on Monday, the stern (rear of the ship) was freed and the great ship swung across the canal, to shouts of celebration. Hours later, the bow (front) too came unstuck, and the Ever Given was able to move out.”

(Presumably “the pointy end” and “the blunt end” was too technical?)
MikeB, Rob P liked this
By MikeB
PeteSpencer wrote:Are those individual tall stacks of containers interlinked in some way at intervals up to the top with the next stack or are they completely free standing justrelying on the inter- locking pegs or whatever they are called at the corner of each container?

A good summary on container lashing produced by one of the P&I Clubs (ship insurers) here https://www.standard-club.com/media/24168/amastersguidetocontainersecuring2ndedition-3.pdf
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By ROG
Had a conducted tour of london gateway a couple of years ago--very interesting--highly organized-all computerized.
Believe you can still arrange to visit if interested.