For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
We're seeing a good deal of confusion about the difference between Asylum Seekers and Illegal Immigrants, not least from the Home Office who should know better :twisted: . This creates some great opportunities for the people traffickers. :roll:
johnm wrote:This creates some great opportunities for the people traffickers. :roll:

But I must admit return loads wasn't one I could have predicted.

Rob P
MikeB liked this
By johnm
Rob P wrote:
johnm wrote:This creates some great opportunities for the people traffickers. :roll:

But I must admit return loads wasn't one I could have predicted.

Rob P

Definitely expected: People traffickers will latch onto the "asylum " changes and tell people that for a few quid they can get them out of the UK to a more sympathetic host country.

For what it's worth there is no such thing as an illegal route for asylum seekers. They turn up by any route they can find and say "Excuse me I need asylum".

Illegal immigrants sneak in and then disappear into the hinterland looking for somewhere they can say "gi's a job"
kanga liked this
By johnm
Colonel Panic wrote:
johnm wrote:For what it's worth there is no such thing as an illegal route for asylum seekers.

Not sure a certain Ms Patel would agree with that.

Her track record (and the Home Office social media output) on getting the law right is frankly lamentable :roll:
By johnm
Sorry @Rob P I've been reading too much output from p155ed off barristers I think :oops: :oops:
By skydriller
Colonel Panic wrote:
johnm wrote:For what it's worth there is no such thing as an illegal route for asylum seekers.

Its not just Ms Patel... I believe the EU expects you to declare your position at the first country you enter, not after having traversed a half dozen countries you dont like first...
By johnm
skydriller wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Its not just Ms Patel... I believe the EU expects you to declare your position at the first country you enter, not after having traversed a half dozen countries you dont like first...

It doesn’t matter what the EU and Patel think or expect international law is what matters and asylum seekers can choose where they seek asylum and travel there by whatever means they can manage.
You've got to be tickled by the idea that illegal immigrants to the UK want to leave and claim asylum in France. :lol:

johnm wrote:
skydriller wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

It doesn’t matter what the EU and Patel think or expect international law is what matters and asylum seekers can choose where they seek asylum and travel there by whatever means they can manage.

True, that's why they have lawyers, not pilots, checking that new policy is legal before it goes public. It's then up to any interested parties to challenge in the courts.

For sure, the 'pull factor' needs addressing but Patel has set herself quite a challenge that no other Home Sec' has managed to resolve. The principle seems to have merit.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... mmigration
First. We will continue to provide safe refuge to those in need – strengthening support for those arriving through safe and legal routes.

People coming to the UK through resettlement routes will be granted indefinite leave to remain.

They will receive more support to learn English, find work and integrate.

And I will also act to help those who have suffered injustices.

By amending British Nationality Law so that members of the Windrush Generation will be able to obtain British citizenship more easily.

Second. This plan marks a step change in our approach as we toughen our stance to deter illegal entry and the criminals that endanger life by enabling it.

Many illegal arrivals have travelled through a safe country like France to get to the UK – where they could and should have claimed asylum.

We must act to reduce the pull factors of our system and disincentivise illegal entry.

For the first time, whether people enter the UK legally or illegally will have an impact on how their asylum claim progresses, and on their status in the UK if that claim is successful.

We will deem their claim as inadmissible, and make every effort to remove those who enter the UK illegally having travelled through a safe country first in which they could and should have claimed asylum.

Only where removal is not possible, will those who have successful claims – having entered illegally – receive a new temporary protection status.

This is not an automatic right to settle, they will be regularly reassessed for removal, and will include limited access to benefits, and limited family reunion rights. Our tough new stance will also include:

New maximum life sentences for people smugglers and facilitators.

New rules to stop unscrupulous people posing as children.

And strengthen enforcement powers for Border Force.

Third. We will seek to rapidly remove those with no right to be here in the UK.

Establishing a fast-track appeals process.

Streamlining the appeals system and making quicker removal decisions for failed asylum seekers and dangerous foreign criminals.

We will tackle the practice of meritless claims which clog up the courts with last minute claims and appeals.

A fundamental unfairness that lawyers tell me frustrates them too.

Because for too long our justice system has been gamed.

Almost three quarters of migrants in detention raised last-minute new claims, challenges or other issues with over eight in ten of these eventually being denied as valid reasons to stay in the UK.

Enough is enough.
By ROG
A couple of years ago I landed at Lydd--flying in from Southend.
I was interrogated by the border patrol --where from-> returning to Snd.?
I did consider confessing to smuggling a refugee from Essex into Kent--but on reflection thought he might not appreciate my attempt at some humour.
johnm liked this