For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Aerials
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'd go along with 10 Ohm, 5 Watt as a suitable replacement initially - that is to put it in and try it if you can't find the actual 'as designed' value. I don't suppose the tolerance is in any way critical. I'd also space it from the top of the printed circuit board to allow those 5 Watts of heat to dissipate more readily and distantly from the board.
Colonel Panic liked this
By JonathanB
I think you need Big Clive to take a look! In fact if you do end up replacing yet whole board, he might be interested in the old one to take a look at on his YouTube.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Aerials
Don't bend the leads where they immediately leave the body, nor bend them sharply. A 1.5mm drill shank would do to bend them round. If the leads are now too widely spaced for aligning to the holes in the board, introduce gentle bends in each lead in the shape of a question mark to bring the lead ends above the holes.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Like you said, get a new circuit board - this thread has reminded of the Midnight Oil song “Beds Are Burning”.
By stevelup
Colonel Panic wrote:My resistors have arrived, but blimey they are HUGE. Looks like I'll need to use my arc welder rather than the soldering iron ...

Should be the same size as the big white resistor that's already on the board.

You could mount it with one short leg and one long leg so it is vertical.

Photo?
By Paul_Sengupta
Charles Hunt wrote:With your new found electrical expertise could you pop round and fit a new No3 element in Zoe's Dualit please.

New element? Pah. When I was a kid I used to fix toasters by wrapping a sturdy wire around the break in the element, joining the two parts back to each other.

Blimey Colonel, make sure that resistor doesn't cook that electrolytic!