For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By treborsnave
Moving to a new house in the next couple of weeks (that "just happens" to be a stones throw from the airfield) and have noticed that the area is on the limits of Three's 5G service. In fact a walk around nearby and test with a 5G mobile revealed decent strength and speeds of 70-80mbps. I'm thinking of perhaps ditching a fixed connection and getting a 5G router in the top floor to feed the house WIFI. Don't really use a landline, so that wouldn't be a loss - anyone done anything similar?
By treborsnave
Morten wrote:Here's me thinking you were having a police constable jump out of your aircraft before pulling 5g...

Have you checked 5G connectivity on your area?

That would not doubt have been much more entertaining :lol:
Yes, 5G seems reasonable on the ground, should be able to check in the building in the next couple of days...
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I dropped copper and have been relying on 4G for the last year and am not regretting it at all. I didn't really have much choice - copper would, according to the various websites, give me 2-3 Mb/s. 4G gives me 30 Mb/s. I am probably quite lucky in that the rural aspect which ruins my copper speeds and means I'll never have FTT anything probably also means that I have a very low contention ratio on the 4G mast I'm using. I don't have specific stats, but cannot recall having any service unavailability at all over these last 12 months and the speeds have been consistently acceptable. 30 Mb/s is OK as long as all the kids don't come home at once...

Pricewise it has also been cheap. I bought my own 4G router and subscribe to a data only SIM.

If you're lucky enough to have a decent 5G signal I'd say it's well worth a try. Assuming you have a 5G phone, start by using it as a wifi hotspot for a week and see how you get on...?
treborsnave liked this
By Rob P
That's something I've never considered.

We get about 65mbs on the home broadband. Yesterday for the first time ever I ran a check on my 4G speed. 60mbs.

It makes me wonder how soon I can ditch the copper/fibre connection too. Getting rid of the landline phone would be no huge loss.

Rob P
treborsnave liked this
By treborsnave
Thanks for the input gents. I did see the other thread on starlink - which looks good but I am hopeful of a 5G signal there. I know 4G is strong too so that may be a backup option.
Sooo, taking the plunge I called Three yesterday afternoon and ordered a 5G hub on the basis that there's a 30day returns window should it fail to separate the mustard. £22 per month unlimited data, plus I can take it with me wherever I go (even with roaming, when those days come back!). If that gets me enough capacity to support multiple fortnite/minecraft/webex/netflix sessions in parallel I'll be a happy man!
Shall report back!
Morten liked this
By JonathanB
Wow, that’s impressive pricing! I’m paying £23/mo for FTTC.
By treborsnave
Uplink was around 60Mbps, ping was 2ms to a London server, I didn't register jitter at the time.
When I get in I'll aim to hook it up to a TP link MESH wifi and see how we get on!!!
By simon32
This made me dissatified with my copper ADSL at 500 Kb/s and I note my ISP (Orange) has a 4G Home kit, but says I am not eligible in my location. Since I am not far from a cell tower, but situated in a valley I feel sure I could make a 4G router work with an external aerial. What would be a good buy?
Simon
By rikur_
simon32 wrote:This made me dissatified with my copper ADSL at 500 Kb/s and I note my ISP (Orange) has a 4G Home kit, but says I am not eligible in my location. Since I am not far from a cell tower, but situated in a valley I feel sure I could make a 4G router work with an external aerial. What would be a good buy?
Simon

This thread might be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=117927