For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
simon32 wrote: I just have to find a good data plan, which is not easy in France.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck !!!
By simon32
I went into the Orange boutique in Agen and they flatly refused to sell me their 4G Home subscription. I told them it worked fine in my location : no it is not on the computer ! I think they have a restricted sales policy as the router they provide is subject to a subsidy for those that reside in a specified digital hinterland. I told the saleswoman that I thought she was supposed to sell things and she got rather huffy.
Simon
Charles Hunt liked this
By skydriller
Welcome to France... "what, you mean you want me to sell you something?? But Im going to lunch in 15 mins, so I need to close..."

( She was probably upset because she hasnt been on "Chomage Partiel" this last week in the nice weather... :wink: )
By simon32
No I could see she was not commode on dealing with the previous customer and she had to ask for help with the computer. She was out of her depth. I am wondering if the British data cards would work in France. At the moment I am using a Spanish one and get 20 MB/s download, 4.2 MB/s upload with 68 ms latency, but it seems to go via Madrid.
Simon
By treborsnave
simon32 wrote:No I could see she was not commode on dealing with the previous customer and she had to ask for help with the computer. She was out of her depth. I am wondering if the British data cards would work in France. At the moment I am using a Spanish one and get 20 MB/s download, 4.2 MB/s upload with 68 ms latency, but it seems to go via Madrid.
Simon

Three's mobile broadband has EU roaming included at no extra cost. However i think there may be some fair use restrictions as opposed to fully unlimited in the UK.

Move house on Friday, the 5G hub will be the second thing hooked in after the kettle :-)
By riverrock
simon32 wrote:No I could see she was not commode on dealing with the previous customer and she had to ask for help with the computer. She was out of her depth. I am wondering if the British data cards would work in France. At the moment I am using a Spanish one and get 20 MB/s download, 4.2 MB/s upload with 68 ms latency, but it seems to go via Madrid.
Simon

I don't know all operators, but I believe if you spend more than 2 months abroad, within 4 months, three will start adding surcharges. I don't know if they still do, but if you keep going they will eventually disable roaming. There is also a 20GB / month data limit, and if you aren't on an "unlimited plan" you have to pay a surcharge to allow your phone to be used as a hotspot. I'm not sure how that works for data only plans.
http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=roaming,varset_subcat=4157,Case=obj(12332)
By simon32
An engineer friend thought that Orange’s refusal to subscribe me to 4G Internet was due to lack of back-haul capacity in the area. This seems plausible as I checked a number of addresses, some within a stone’s throw of the cell tower and none of them were eligible. Could this be the case and what do they need to do to increase it?
Simon
By Paul_Sengupta
simon32 wrote:Could this be the case and what do they need to do to increase it?

Now there's a question.

It could be anything from paying the backhaul provider more to installing a completely new backhaul infrastructure, being buried cable/fibre or microwave.

They might have to replace all the cell site radio and transmission equipment too.
By treborsnave
Ok, so after a month of living in our new pad, it's looking surprisingly good! I've not noticed any significant outage using multiple alexa's, mobiles, consoles, work webexes and and TV streaming simultaneously. Speeds of 60-80mb/s are standard, latency is great and downloading of large packages eg MSFS updates ( :roll: ) is so much better than the copper at the last house.
The one thing i have noticed is that there is a degradation when there's significant weather in between me and the 5G cell - particularly apparent in the afternoon squalls that have rolled over EGLM in the last few days.

All in all, quite chuffed. No pain, no limits, no waiting for an engineer, better quality service and half the price of my FTTC connection previously.