For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By AndyR
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Five years since he left us and I can’t help but imagine Keef sat up there, looking down on us all and wondering at all that’s happened over the last year.

I’m sure I speak for us all when I say that he is missed, but never forgotten.

Hopefully we will able again this year, to be free to go up to Glenforsa, sit on his bench and reflect.

Fond memories of a great man.
johnm, Rob P, Charles Hunt and 17 others liked this
By JAFO
I never met Keef and only spoke to him once when I pointed him towards the Jodel share he later bought and enjoyed.

I have a feeling that my life is the poorer for having never got round to meeting him. A reminder to me that, once this lockdown is over, I must get round to meeting all those forumites I've been meaning to meet for years. Perhaps that's a good way for me to remember Keef.
By PeteSpencer
I spent several 2- week flying holidays in USA with keef in the early noughties, once to collect the FAA/IR in Florida and twice touring the West Coast /Arizona/Nevada.

I have to say that without fear of contradiction that he was the most genuine, thoughtful and compassionate person I have ever met, putting up with my aviation errors and mistakes with nary a peep.

The world surely is a poorer place for his passing.

Keef memorial get-together/fly-in is a great idea.... :thumright:
Colonel Panic, AndyR liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
I was thinking of him as I watched the programme on Chernobyl with Ben Fogle the other night. Keef reckoned it was the radiation from that which contaminated the North Wales lamb, of which he ate a lot, which caused his cancer. :-(
AndyR liked this
The Windscale disaster of the late 50s deposited large amounts of radioactive isotopes into the surrounding areas and no doubt is still lurking. Most of my boat buddies from the propulsion end have died of cancer - our film badges went for “developing” and they were so blackened that a reading could not be determined. The annual dose limit for personnel in the 70s was I think, 5 times higher than acceptable levels today. It’s the alphas and betas, if ingested, that do all the damage. It crosses my mind a lot. But try to make a claim - they come back with : prove it , which is extremely difficult to do.
AndyR liked this
I still have emails from Keef in which he helped with various IT problems I experienced, especially with email settings which were screwed up by my previous ISP, and to which I still sometimes refer. He was even generous enough to allow me to use his server for mail until we sorted them out. I have never met anyone more patient and generous with his time than Keef.

It is one of my great pleasures that I met him a few times in the flesh, and visited his lovingly restored listed home on which he lavished so much care and attention, and took on a restoration project that would have daunted lesser men, describing himself as the custodian and not the owner. I have known a lot of memorable people over my life, but none more so than him. He has left great memories but also a massive hole.

I will raise a glass to him tonight. :salut:

PW
By Iceman
Memories of flying Keef to Glenforsa from Crowfield for the weekend for what he knew to be his final visit to a place that he loved. Glenforsa should be open in mid May so a visit to give Keef’s bench a fresh coat would be in order. I have often sat on that bench at midnight, after the bar has shut, Highland Park in hand, and taking in the peace and tranquillity of that beautiful location. Thoughts always turn to fond memories of persons absent.

Iceman 8)
Propwash, Paul_Sengupta, Charles Hunt and 5 others liked this