For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By ROG
I recently had my annual eye test.
I explained to the "optician" that I again wanted varifocals as I needed to see charts/instruments on a light aircraft and also distance to avoid colliding with other aircraft--particularly those in the "purple corridors"
My current specs--varifocals- I believed to be fine.
She (carefull that""s sextist") said that she could improve the distance viewing on new varifocals.
I again emphasized varifocals and my interests.
Again told should be an improvement--on that basis decided to buy new specs.
Go to collect find that I can"t see my computer screen clearly or instrument panel on the aircraft--which were fine with specs that I have.
It seemed from another experience that the main aim of opticians now is to sell glasses regardless of whether they"re needed or not.
After I returned to the optician they said you need another pair for the shorter distance!!--so 2 pairs now to fly!!! --what a great idea..!!
After a heated discussion My charges were returned.
and i"m again using the same specs. that I went in with.
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've had a similar experience with one of (what I had thought was) the most reputable high street chains. I've been wearing varifocals for 20 years, they are an excellent invention. I wear them every waking hour and value them for they negate the need to change glasses for different tasks. For that reason I never skimp on them.

Last time around I was advised that lenses by 'Leica' were the best available and followed advice to choose them. Compared with what I was already wearing they turned out to be dreadful, the transitions in correction were very noticeable, more like wearing bi-focals. They were totally unwearable, I went back a couple of times and was very condescendingly told 'I was not using them correctly', well I seem to have managed the past 20 years without a problem.

The dispute is still ongoing, basically they can have the glasses back in return for me getting my money back, but they don't want to engage in that conversation. They have hidden behind Covid restrictions to limit my ability to return to them, it is total BS, very angry about it.
By Boxkite
What you need is called 'occupational varifocals'

Edit, seems they might not be any good for far distance (flying), contrary to what my optician told me.
Last edited by Boxkite on Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avtur3 liked this
By johnm
avtur3 wrote:I've had a similar experience with one of (what I had thought was) the most reputable high street chains. I've been wearing varifocals for 20 years, they are an excellent invention. I wear them every waking hour and value them for they negate the need to change glasses for different tasks. For that reason I never skimp on them.

Last time around I was advised that lenses by 'Leica' were the best available and followed advice to choose them. Compared with what I was already wearing they turned out to be dreadful, the transitions in correction were very noticeable, more like wearing bi-focals. They were totally unwearable, I went back a couple of times and was very condescendingly told 'I was not using them correctly', well I seem to have managed the past 20 years without a problem.

The dispute is still ongoing, basically they can have the glasses back in return for me getting my money back, but they don't want to engage in that conversation. They have hidden behind Covid restrictions to limit my ability to return to them, it is total BS, very angry about it.

Letter headed "without prejudice" giving them 30 days before you go to the small claims court usually works.
T6Harvard liked this
By avtur3
Boxkite wrote:What you need is called 'occupational varifocals'

Many thanks for that comment, that is not a term I was familiar with. I've done bit of googling and it sounds like may be the answer.

The wife of a very good friend is an optician, she runs her own independent practice. I've always shied away from asking her professional advice, but I think I might have a change of heart about that.
By Flyingfemme
I have a pair of "occupational varifocals" and they do work for flying - but only because I look over the top of them. They are superb for reading, computer screens and just about anything in the office within 10 (ish) feet. No good for distance - but that isn't what they are calibrated for (and I don't need a distance correction). In the cockpit they are perfect for map/kneeboard/ipad (on knee) and a variety of avionics in a variety of panels. They were expensive but worth every penny.
By ROG
PAUL--first posting was for short sighted forumites
second for the long sighted
PETE--transpired disreputable local optician..
FLYING F--by chance I actually picked up a brochure which was along those lines. I explained exactly what I needed--for aviating--but don"t think she absorbed the info.
My current specs are fine--I agreed to new specs on a promise of a slight improvement on the distance with short distance remaining fine --which it is, T he promise didn"t materialise.
By ROG
Avtur--The new useless specs they tried to convince were ok were
"not fit for purpose" I can"t recall all my law-although not a lawyer-but I did tell the optician that
they were "not fit for purpose". Might be worth reading up on the " sale of goods acts".
Taking them to the small claims court/some publicity might get things resolved.
There must be some legal beavers out there who could advise.
By ROG
No it"s not--it"s for Avtur. --That"s what comes from doing this while watching rugby.
Must concentrate--can do better.!!!!
By GAFlyer4Fun
I have only had one bad experience with an optician.

Lessons learned
- make sure their paperwork clearly states what they are required for and the sort of reading distances (lap, yoke, instrument panel, paper/electronic chart, airfield direction signs to the runway, ... ) and distance vision for spotting hazards such as traffic, birds, drones, and landmarks for navigation.
- be clear about needing good focus peripheral vision. A narrow focused distance field of view is useless to a pilot (and also drivers as wont see cyclists/motorcyclists on the larger roundabout unless looking almost straight at them).
- be clear about use or potential use of polarised screens. (car or aircraft,... Noite car windscreens/windows can be polarised differently on own vehicle and other road users vehicles which can stop sighting of pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, ...)
- be clear about transition lenses
- be clear about scratch resistance
- be clear about anti-static coating
- its going to be over 100 quid so pay be credit card
- when returning glasses as not "fit for purpose" get a receipt from the optician to prove the glasses and all accessories have been returned - this proof will be asked for by the credit card company or court if the optician becomes awkward.

Obviously have to give the optician reasonable opportunity to put things right.

Any non-metal frames will be scrap. The lenses will be scrap as it will be virtually impossible for them to find another customer that will have the same prescription and same size frames.
They probably highlighted the no quibble manufacturer guarantees, which wont help if the optician or dispensing optician messed up the order form or mis-sold something.
T6Harvard liked this
By T6Harvard
@ROG The Sale of Goods Act has been superceded for matters such as this. If writing quote The Consumer Rights Act 2015 and, as JohnM says, head letter 'Without prejudice'.
Sample letters on Which, and at https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/

My near vision is fine for reading a book or indeed a checklist but not a detailed map on my knee, in poor light. Distance I need specs.
So I have taken the plunge and I am due to collect my first ever pair of varifocals next week, with some trepidation. I really want them to be OK and for me to get on with them, as it were. The optician did lots of measuring for focal length of kneeboard and explained field of vision being limited at edges, which I was surprised about, being completely ignorant about varifocals. Otherwise I'll be looking at distance lenses with a small reading lens stuck on the right one!
JAFO liked this