For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Miscellaneous
Propwash wrote:That might work if you have total faith in the children.

I'm sure you meant justified trust. :wink: :thumright:

I feels so strongly that transferring to children is wrong that I advised my mother not to, that it was a bad idea and that I would not accept. I can assure you any trust placed in me would not have been misplaced. Particularly at 56 the scope for any number of unforeseen scenarios to play out is too great. What transferring assets essentially amounts to is maximising an inheritance for a beneficiary by creating and shifting significantly more risk to the transferor. Generally not a logical move. :naughty:
By cockney steve
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Nobody has , (AFAIK) , mentioned the Government's "rent a room" scheme. I don't even know if it's still running..... Basically you can rent to a lodger *shock! horror* -but think of the smugness , helping a homeless individual or someone to whom life has dealt a bad hand......There is/was/ a generous cap on the rent chargeable and there needed to be NO tax-declaration. IE- tax-free income. Not an ideal scenario for many, but surely worthy of thought, wouldn't £100+ a week be a nice income boost?
By nallen
cockney steve wrote:Nobody has , (AFAIK) , mentioned the Government's "rent a room" scheme. I don't even know if it's still running...

You can currently earn £7500/year tax exempt this way.
By Sooty25
only time I'd do this is if I already knew someone in need of a room, but then again mixing friendship with business often ends in tears. So, would you want a random stranger in your home? If the experiences I've had with residential tenants is anything to go by, I would think very long and very hard before going this route.

I'd rather turn the spare room in to a stock room, buy a load of cheap Carp from China, and flog it through eBay and Amazon as an additional income source.
By nallen
Sooty25 wrote:So, would you want a random stranger in your home?

Horses for courses, but it worked fine for me -- a little while back I found myself with excess space for a couple of years, and had a succession of (mostly) short-term post-grads. I chose carefully, met some very interesting people, and have remained good friends with two of them.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By avtur3
Colonel Panic wrote:
avtur3 wrote:The situation is so finely balanced that while there are no regular visiting rights we have been told that we will be called and allowed to visit when a doctor determines that end of life is close … that is a brutal position to be in.

It is a horrible position to be in - I feel for you. My 90 yo mother took a tumble picking flowers in a steep field 2 weeks ago, fell & smashed her shoulder. She is now in hospital, in great pain with multiple issues & drugged up to the eyeballs. No one is allowed to see her (or help the hospital by helping her), and I fear that we never will. This is most certainly not a good time to be ill.

Slightly off the main topic, but today Mrs A received 'that' call. M-i-L cannot/will not communicate, she is declining food, drink and now even medication, this is likely the effects of Parkinson's on her ability to swallow. So she is now on end of life care, with anticipatory medication available for when it is needed. Mrs A is now allowed to visit once per day until ... :(
By T6Harvard
So sorry to hear that @avtur3 . I'm afraid the stopping eating and drinking is nature's way of winding down. I expect the medics have explained the very short timescale once drinking stops. Please look after yourselves and let your puppy snuggle up when MrsA gets home.
avtur3 liked this
By PeteSpencer
It's never an easy situation, and talk of 'blessed release' by well wishers doesn't make it any easier.

Been there 4 times myself now with my and 'er indoors parents .

But it does get better eventually.
My sympathies to you and Mrs Avtur.