For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Terms of Service
https://www.starlink.com/account/legal/ ... ionCode=GB

... although it looks like you need to be signed in, you don't - the only difference is that if I'm signed in, it has my name at the top!

To quickly answer the main question above:-

Starlink Internet Services Limited, 5th Floor, Beaux Lane House, Mercer Street Lower, Dublin 2 D02 DH60

All the other legal stuff is here:-
https://www.starlink.com/legal
Morten liked this
By Morten
OK :D . I'll withdraw my privacy comments.
"data about throughput delivered to you over time, service connectivity, latency, quality metrics, sky obstruction data, device orientation and location, WiFi quality metrics, WiFi device information, and the public IP address information assigned to you over time" looks pretty much run of the mill.

The specifications page linked to from that page says that "download speeds up to 100Mbps" - let us know what you actually get, @stevelup :thumleft:
By stevelup
People in the UK are getting 350-400Mbps at the moment after a recent firmware update. Certainly will be interesting.

I don't have great views of the sky - lots of mature trees and houses.
By stevelup
Well, it's in a rubbish location (masked by houses and trees throughout about 300 degrees), and it's on really old firmware...

73.6Mbps down / 23.8Mbps up, average latency 33ms
By Morten
Not bad at all :thumleft:. If you have a restricted view of the sky it might not affect your bandwidth but it will affect the availability. I.e. you may not always see enough satellites to get a handover, but those you do see should give full speed. The attenuation at 12 GHz through vegetation is pretty harsh.... but as the constellation is extended that should help.
By stevelup
It's temporary - I've got a better spot for it on the side of the garage, but I need to run a cable and buy a bracket. It's just sat on the ground at the moment.

The interesting thing is the latency. I've seen it as low as 25ms which really is quite remarkable.
Morten liked this
By stevelup
It'll happen automatically at some point. There's absolutely no UI on any of this stuff.

The latency is completely unnoticeable - I've been using it for a remote desktop connection to my office this afternoon and it's like being sat there. No difference between Starlink and my DSL.
By stevelup
You can't plug it into a DSL connection, would need to be an ethernet WAN port.

But yes, you can plug the dish straight into any router - you don't need to use the Starlink provided one. All the space-y stuff is dealt with by Dishy McFlatface (yes, that's really what SpaceX call this thing...)