For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
TheKentishFledgling wrote:Definitely not expecting much at all through the window but interested to see if it gets anything. Will pop it in the garden pro tem and get a wall mount ordered.

What are your stats like after a month or so?

You are not going to get a thing out of the window - it needs to point more or less straight up. Unless you have a really weird window!

It's been basically flawless. Downtime each day measured in seconds since I mounted it properly.

Never had a speed test come back less than 200Mbps - more often than not it's well over 300.
By stevelup
You'll get rubbish speeds for the first couple of days. It ships with old firmware, and I think it tunes itself as well, so don't be disheartened by the initial results.

Obviously you're roughly on the same latitude as me (otherwise they wouldn't have let you have the trial), so you really should get identical numbers as long as you don't have any obstructions.
By Colonel Panic
The capital cost (£400-500) fits well within my comfort zone, but I would really smart at the £89pcm. I'd have to have significantly worse FTTC than I currently do (~28 down, ~8 up, £16pcm) to persuade me to go for Starlink. Shame really as I love the concept.

Availability chez moi shows "late 2021". But by then Boris' promise of FTTP for all will have materialised anyway. #not
By stevelup
It's only a tenner a month more than I'm paying for two bonded DSL lines...

I've been too scared to cancel the DSL as yet so am paying for both at the moment. Might bite the bullet...

You can't only be paying £16pcm for FTTC - you must have a phone line as well presumably.
By Colonel Panic
I do have a landline, yes, but not sure I would want to give that part up yet as mobile coverage here is patchy to say the least. Line Rental is £16.50 pcm (inc Unlimited Calls), FTTC via PlusNet is £16.00 pcm.
By townleyc
I stupidly let them extend my contract - I intend dumping Plusnet as soon as my revised contract expires (in December ISTR)

Their service is pretty patchy

Might go for Zen, but looking around. Still cannot afford Starlink :(

KE
By rikur_
I've got Zen in one house, and Plusnet in the other (long term customer of both)
Not had any issues with either as a broadband provider
Observations: (1) router provided by Plusnet was rubbish; (2) PlusNet suffers more network congestion, I don't always get the full line speed, but Zen almost always does; (3) Plusnet I have to negotiate the price every 18 months to avoid increase
Colonel Panic liked this
By townleyc
Colonel Panic wrote:Interesting; my experience with PlusNet in three homes over several years has never been anything other than exemplary.

I think Plusnet have gone downhill in the last few years. BT want to brand them as cheap...

KE