For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Colonel Panic
I have made some progress, but still not quite there yet.

Putting the dish TEMPO in the middle of the lawn & connecting it to the Starlink router via the Starlink PoE, then connecting to that via wi-fi and the speeds are impressive (see below).

But if I plug the Starlink PoE in to the USG WAN1 then I lose connection to the www (using my existing wifi SSID). This is whether or not the PlusNet feed is plugged in to WAN2 or not (with WAN2 configured as Fallover Only).

Any thoughts?

Also, moving on a bit in the meantime...

1. Does it matter whether Starlink or PlusNet are connected to WAN1 if I set both to Weighted Load Balancing?
    2. Would setting a 95:5 split enable access to IoT stuff that relies on a static IP?
    3. Due to the striking different speeds, should I put the balance to, say, 95% / 5% Starlink / PlusNet?

TIA

By TheKentishFledgling
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Only just dipping into this thread, but good to see you have Starlink at last :D

You won't be able to simply unplug one connection, and plug the other into that port on the USG without switching the networks.

Have you set up a second WAN via UniFi? If not that should be your first step. WAN1 I'd suggest you leave as Plusnet (with its PPPOE auto), and then set up the second WAN as Starlink (connection type is DHCP) and connect that to the WAN2 port (which you'll be able to enable once the second WAN is set up).
By Colonel Panic
Thanks @TheKentishFledgling - I think I have done that, and it all "looks" OK to me, but with WAN2 (aka DISHY) set to 95% Load Balancing, speedtest.net results are still no more than I would have expected from PlusNet alone.

By stevelup
It doesn't do what you think it does. It only load balances outbound traffic.

It can't be used for what you're trying to do here.

CP, I'm reasonably confident that if you reconfigure everything so Starlink is on WAN1 and your old PPPoE connection is on WAN2 then it should do what you want.
By Colonel Panic
Thanks both. Have to say that I never realised that load balancing was only relevant to outbound traffic only! :oops:

The new plan is therefore to put Starlink on the USG's WAN1, and PlusNet on WAN2 (with PPPoE). But before I remove the PlusNet settings on WAN1, what would I replace them with? Is it still PPPoE, and then my Starlink a/c Username & password?
By Colonel Panic
OK, I've made some good progress; Starlink configured on WAN1, and PlusNet on WAN2; with the latter on Fallover Only, when I unplug the Starlink feed after a minute or two PlusNet kicks in. 8)

However, whether WAN2 is set for Fallover Only or 10% Load Balancing, with Starlink connected on WAN1 access to my local Home Assistance NUC via DuckDNS doesn't work.

How might I get around this? Inbound access to my LAN is important for me. Is there a paid-for VPN type service that can cope with non-static IP addresses?

EDITED TO ADD: This chap seems to think that putting PlusNet PPPoE on WAN1 and Starlink DHCP on WAN2, and then setting WAN2 LB to 99% all should work.

EDITED TO ADD #2: I have now switched things around, with PlusNet PPPoE on WAN1 and Starlink DHCP on WAN2, with WAN2 LB set to 95%. Speedtest.net results show an improvement over what I would expect from PlusNet and my DuckDNS tunnel in to my Home Assistant NUC seems to work also. Great news. Next task is to try to get access to the Starlink control panel which needs some more reconfiguring ...
By Colonel Panic
Yea Gads this is frustrating, and I am almost at the point of returning for a refund. :oops: :evil:

Starlink plugged in to WAN2 (95%LB) & PlusNet in to WAN1, I get marginally better speeds than PlusNet alone - but not sufficiently so to warrant the cost. If I plug Starlink in to it's router I get _much_ better speeds (100-200+), but insufficient coverage in the house.

So it seems the options are to either put Starlink back in to WAN1, with PlusNet in WAN2 (Failover only), or perhaps use the Starlink router but run an ethernet cable between the Starlink AUX port and a Unifi switch. Would that work?

And if I do this, what would be the best way to gain inbound access to my Home Assistant etc (currently done via a DuckDNS url & the PlusNet static IP). This is sufficiently important to me that without it Starlink isn't for me ...
By PeteSpencer
Genuine question:

What does Starlink offer (apart from apparently hair-tearing exasperation) that 'normal' (to us mortals) FTTP or even FTTC can't bring?

Is it orders of magnitude cheaper?

Do movies stream in half the time? Are emails instantaneously transmitted?

Or is it a case of 'I just gotta be the first to get the latest iPhone ' syndrome?

signed

Curious of E Anglia. :wink:
FTTP would be twice as quick and half the price. But that'll be years away here at The Billet. My current 28 down / 8 up on FTTC is more than adequate, but as Oscar Wilde so succinctly put it "I can resist everything except temptation".

Mind you, getting download speeds in excess of 250 Mbps on 5G on my iPhone in London today was quite impressive. First time for me.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this