For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
5G in Screwfix car park here is around 450mbps, vs 20mbps FTTC at home. I set-up my new laptop sat in the car at Screwfix carpark!

@Colonel Panic I haven't followed all the detail - but remember routing generally needs to be symmetric. So if you are NAT'ing something to your static IP on the PlusNet connection, then that device will need to route the relevant outbound traffic also via the PlusNet connection, not being load balanced. (Otherwise potentially the response packets will be coming back from a different IP than the request). I'm not familiar with USG, but on Draytek you can configure this in the Load Balance/Route Policy to force a specific internal device to always use a specific WAN interface.
Colonel Panic liked this
By kanga
VRB_20kt wrote:I wonder whether in due course fibre will go out of fashion in favour of 5G or better.

I have two (younger!) relatives who have (or use) no cable (fibre or copper) connexions to their homes. In both cases their (private sector, high-tech) employers pay without quibble for unlimited data over best available wireless, as even before the pandemic they routinely worked away from the office (including internationally). 'Working from home' has thus been just as easy.
By avtur3
VRB_20kt wrote:I wonder whether in due course fibre will go out of fashion in favour of 5G or better.

I'm sure I have read that that is the expectation. When 'fully' rolled out 5G coverage is supposed to offer coverage which is way better than current 4G along with eye watering speeds, that should make it the service of choice.

I am constantly frustrated at 4G performance, I live 35 miles due south of our nation's capital, and struggle to get a 4G connection both at home and in many places around and about. I'm really looking forward to having a reliable mobile network ... one day!
Colonel Panic liked this
By rikur_

Unlikely. Ultimately anything relying on radio is contended. 5G is great as the sole user parked next to the mast, but when that becomes a village of 200 households sharing a mast 200m away it's not going to deliver. You'll have cohorts that use 5G not fibre, but you need enough people using fixed coms to have enough wireless bandwidth left for those that choose not to.

We used to get 100mbps off 4G until everyone else got 4G.
By T67M
avtur3 wrote:

I am constantly frustrated at 4G performance, I live 35 miles due south of our nation's capital, and struggle to get a 4G connection both at home and in many places around and about. I'm really looking forward to having a reliable mobile network ... one day!

Interestingly I live 35 miles due south of our nation's capital city, and my domestic broadband is connected via a 5G router from Three and usually delivers 600Mbit/s down (20 up) for £30/month. It's not 100% reliable, but it's no less reliable than the BT "Fibre" (FTTC) offer in the area, is ten times faster, and half the price.

As an (ex) RF engineer, I do abhor wasting precious RF spectrum to deliver a service to a fixed location, and accept that in the future contention will affect the service provided. Hopefully by that time, true fibre broadband (FTTP) will be available in my area - a prime driver for me switching from BT to Three was BT's statement that "FTTP will never be rolled out here because FTTC is too good".
By Colonel Panic
stevelup wrote:Are you -absolutely certain- it didn't work as intended ...

Hmmm, good question.

PlusNet always give me a fairly continuous 28 : 8 (down:up); now I am getting 60+ : 8 (speeds tested via speedtest.net on a laptop with excellent wi-fi reception).

Having been running solely on PlusNet on WAN2 (PPPoE / Failover) for a week, I have plugged Starlink (DHCP) back in to the WAN1 socket, and indeed speeds have gone up. But not by nearly as much as I would have expected / hoped.

Starlink speeds were much MUCH higher when using the Starlink router & the iOS app than they were when routing Dishy through the USG. But that config was never going to be any use in the real world.

Also, what ___________may__________ have confused me was seeing an unexpected external IP on the speedtest.net website, and assuming it was Starlink - but in reality it may well have been iCloud Private Relay (c/f my related post last night). :oops:

I will leave it as is for a few days to see if speeds improve. If they do, happy days, but if they don't then I will have to decide whether to return Starlink.
By Colonel Panic
Just done one now (hard wired desktop), and speedtest.net returns 66.6 : 23.3, and a ping of 40; getting better but hardly in to nosebleed speeds. Will wait a day or two more to see if it improves.
By stevelup
I think you need to eliminate other equipment before blaming Starlink.

I'd suggest plugging the Starlink cable directly into a PC and see what speeds you get then.

I'm getting 307Mbps down and 23Mbps up with 28ms ping right now and we're about the same latitude and are surely seeing the same satellites.

There's something wrong somewhere.
By Colonel Panic
I have just run the following tests, in order. All were done right next to the data cabinet / where Dishy comes in to the house. All were done within a couple of minutes of each other; numbers are "Down / Up / [Ping]" as obtained via the Speedtest.net webpage. All were via Cat 5e ethernet except for the first and last tests.

Dishy > PoE > USG (WAN1, DHCP) > UniFi US-8-60W Switch > UniFi UAP-AC-PRO > MBPro (WI-FI) ... 68 / 3 / [44]

Dishy > PoE > USG (WAN1, DHCP) > UniFi US-8-60W Switch > MBPro ... 67 / 13 / [48]
Dishy > PoE > USG (WAN1, DHCP)> MBPro ... 74 / 8 / [32]
Dishy > PoE > MBPro ... 47 / 2 / [48] EDITED TO ADD A SECOND TEST ... 124 / 6 / [31]
Dishy > PoE > Starlink Router > MBPro ... 235 / 10 / [41]

Dishy > PoE > Starlink Router > iPhone 12Pro (WI-FI) ... 90 / not given / [71]

Not quite sure what to make of this other than perhaps the USG is acting as a bottleneck?

I am more than happy to be told that my networking skills are at fault here, but not sure how to fault find ...
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By stevelup
I haven't a clue what's going on. You only got 47Mbps with the MBP connected directly to Dishy?

Are any other cables involved? Did you plug your MBP directly into the Starlink PoE adapter with a short, known good cable?
By Colonel Panic
I always used the Starlink provided white cable from the PoE adapter, whether that was to the MBP itself, the Starlink router or the USG. Any other wires used were purchased (& short).

I have just run the Dishy > PoE > MBPro again and it was 124 / 6 / [31]
By riverrock
what features have you turned on, within in the USG? It certainly can be a bottleneck, as some features aren't hardware accelerated so become CPU bound within:

https://hometechtime.com/ubiquiti-unifi ... d-to-know/
Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) Throughput 930 Mbps
Unifi Threat Management (UTM) Throughput 85Mbps
Intrusion Detection System (IDS) Throughput 80 Mbps
Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) Throughput 80 Mbps
Quality of Service (QOS) (SmartQueues) 60 Mbps
VPN Throughput 10 Mbps
IPSec Tunnel 1Gbps
By Colonel Panic
Looking through my Cloud Controller / Settings, I see that ...

Traffic & Security ... "Detect & Block Intrusions" is set to Detect (only), with System Sensitivity set to Maximum Performance (as opposed to Maximum Protection).

Smart Queues is OFF.

Under Threat Management, several are turned on (Worm, Malware, Mobile Malware), but Botch isn't. I don't recall ever touching this section, so they may be the defaults.

Is it safe / advisable to turn off Detect Intrusions?

EDITED TO ADD: Delving deeper I see that "ISP Capabilities" is set to Download 25 / Upload 8. That is about right for PlusNet on WAN2, but not Starlink. I will change it to 250 / 100 to see what happens ... EDIT#2 - that improved things to 125 / 8 / [32] on wifi :thumleft: