For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yes. That said, since it rebooted at 0100 this morning, I've only had 37 packets lost - so not even a minute. Almost all of those 26 minutes were accumulated within the first hour or so of setting it up, so it might have been settling down.

Be interesting to see how it performs once it's up on the garage roof.

I'll keep one of my DSL lines and configure it as a fallback though as I need reliable connectivity during working hours.
cjrpaterson, johnm, Morten liked this
By stevelup
It's properly installed now. Seeing up to 280Mbps and just 58 seconds of downtime since it was moved.

Had an incredibly baffling problem with my flight sim PC. Was only getting 10Mbps on speed test sites etc, or downloading files. Microsoft FS2020 was even worse, downloading at about 8Mbps. Yet YouTube was showing 150Mbps in the 'stats for nerds' and both the Epic Games launcher and Steam client were downloading at rocking speeds. I was getting full gigabit speeds to my NAS which eliminated any physical issue.

Something somewhere, and I'm pretty damn sure it wasn't me, had disabled TCP receive window auto tuning... I spent four hours trying to figure that out.

So if anyone ever has weird performance issues on any Windows version from Vista onwards, try this from an elevated command prompt:-

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Colonel Panic liked this
By Colonel Panic
stevelup wrote:Something somewhere, and I'm pretty damn sure it wasn't me, had disabled TCP receive window auto tuning... I spent four hours trying to figure that out.

Next time you run in to an issue like this, there is an incredibly kind, patient & knowledgeable chap on the Flyer Forums. I can PM you his details if you wish :D
rikur_, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Awful Charlie
PeteSpencer wrote:That satellite repeater with wings looks a bit low: Is it geo-stationary? :wink:

I was trying to work out if it was a Robin, Gull or Hawk :wink:
By johnm
Probably a buzzard I should think.

Impressive performance on the Starlink system though....My fibre to the house is 30mb which is adequate for us though we could go up to 900 if the need arose. The Windows issue is a new one on me though, how do you ascertain the setting??
By stevelup
Code: Select allnetsh int tcp show global

Receive-Side Scaling State should be: enabled
Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level should be: normal

No matter how many times I set the auto-tuning to normal using...

Code: Select allnetsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

... it would change back after a random amount of time. No need to even reboot - I'd just check it later and it would be borked again.

Eventually, I tried it using PowerShell...

Code: Select allSet-NetTCPSetting -SettingName internet -AutoTuningLevel normal

... and that has now stuck. It's never changed back and it has survived reboots. I truly do not know in total how long I wasted on this issue - many hours.... frustrating!
johnm liked this
By stevelup
It won't work inside the building but will be fine if you throw it in the garden somewhere on the supplied stand.

I ran mine for a few days like that.