For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Awful Charlie
Colonel Panic wrote:Quite of bit of stuff will be thrown out, but even more is in an adjacent barn awaiting a verdict ...

An adjacent barn that previously looked similar to photo2 that now looks like photo1 ?
avtur3, Rjk983 liked this
By ROG
Colonel---you"re the sort of chap who"s used as an example of who the majority of us should aspire to. I"ve got enough problems with one of my neighbours who keeps his garden immaculate. He is given a job list every morning and is allowed out to play golf once a week.
I believer he is chipped as every time he tries to talk to me mrs Perfect appears and he has to resume his duties.

Fortunately my other neighbour --a really nice guy--is a bit of a scruff--which I point out to mrs Rog.
Recently I discovered that I am held up as an example by mrs Scruff for mr Scruff to aspire to.
I had to go and lay on my sun lounger to get over it.
Flyin'Dutch', kanga, MikeE and 3 others liked this
By VRB_20kt
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Looks brilliant!

I hired a skip when I cleared out the workshop. Absolutely gutting to lob quite a lot of “useful” stuff which has been amplified by having to go out and buy occasional things that the skip company now have.
Colonel Panic liked this
By VRB_20kt
By the way, with regard to wiring. What do people do about legislation requiring testing with calibrated kit? I’ve always classed myself as a “competent person” but at well over £1k for combined test gear in snookered for filling in the IEE forms.
By cockney steve
You fill out IEE forms? :shock: I see this as another load of job-creation and nannying.

I am not au fait with current LAW, but IEE regs are not LAW, they're "best practice" as defined by a trade-protection organisation, that has no vested interest, honest, Guv.

"Part P " Despite implications, you do not have to be registered, qualified, certified, etc. What you are supposed to do, is have any qualifying work notified to the local authority building-inspectorate and submit a compliance certificate OR have the dept. inspect it,-except they don't usually have anybody , so they sub -out to their friendly "sparks", who gives them the nod and they then approve/deny the installation and nail their take onto the bill the homeowner gets.

What you don't tell them, they don't know. :twisted: :mrgreen:
By Colonel Panic
I will either strip the wiring out as when and if we sell (I have been here for 31 years so far), or get a qualified bod to check, amend and certify if that proves easier. But I agree, it is a problem.
By VRB_20kt
Unfortunately when you move the home information form has a specific question on wiring completed within the last 20 years. Such wiring must have suitable test forms (which the IEE amongst others supply) showing things like ground impedance, rccb break performance and the like. To complete them you need to have calibrated kit. As others mentioned, building control will do it for you for a price. I haven’t yet met a sparky who would put his name to someone else’s wiring and unsurprisingly they aren’t keen to lend you their ridiculously expensive bit of test gear.