For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Paultheparaglider wrote:THIS is the quintessentially British way to do these things...

Many consider Monty Python or Fawlty Towers to be the funniest British sitcoms of all time. They're wrong: Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister are way better. They have aged better, too, probably because politics remains the same. And you don't need to be British to appreciate them, even though governments and civil services differ quite a bit from country to country.

Thanks for the clip!
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
akg1486 wrote:
Paultheparaglider wrote:THIS is the quintessentially British way to do these things...

Many consider Monty Python or Fawlty Towers to be the funniest British sitcoms of all time. They're wrong: Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister are way better. They have aged better, too, probably because politics remains the same. And you don't need to be British to appreciate them, even though governments and civil services differ quite a bit from country to country.

Thanks for the clip!

If only we were as well run now.

I've only had brief experiences over the years of the insides of government departments, mostly health, but my last was much more like The Thick Of It than Yes, Minister.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:@Sooty25 That was an unlawful move.

they are our laws, adjust them!

the photo of Harry dressed as a Brown Shirt, dancing with a KKK and Al Jolson look-a-like seems to be popular on Facebook at the moment.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Sooty25 wrote:

the photo of Harry dressed as a Brown Shirt, dancing with a KKK and Al Jolson look-a-like seems to be popular on Facebook at the moment.

I know that unlawfulness by leaderships these days is not as much frowned upon as it once was, but it is also counter to international law, much of it devised by the UK in years gone by.

To break those is generally the preserve of banana republics.
kanga liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:

I know that unlawfulness by leaderships these days is not as much frowned upon as it once was, but it is also counter to international law, much of it devised by the UK in years gone by.

To break those is generally the preserve of banana republics.

Sadly, I find that far too many people are quick to find fault with "my" country and it's history.

Shamina, she chose her path in life, she was mature enough to get herself half way across the world and survive for however many years she has, fighting against "my" country. "My Country" that has a Monarch, who is also the head of a religion she was happy to fight against. As far as I am concerned, she is not welcome back under any circumstances, well, maybe for interrogation purposes, but I doubt she has much value there.

Harry, if he wants to leave and live a quiet life, go do it. Just stop whinging about it. I'm sure being a Royal is pretty crappy at times, but it also carries a lot of wealth and privilege of a kind the rest of us will never experience. One or the other mate.

I find it very sad what is happening to "my" country, and in my life time. It is even sadder that if I voice my opinion how I really want to, I will be branded with probably the full set of R, R and PC tags, yet all I am is the "Joe Average" that would have stood up and defended this country and its people 80 years ago.
Charles Hunt, seanxair, mick w and 2 others liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Shamima Begum was 15 years old when she left for IS - I don't know how many 15 year olds you have come across in your life, I can assure you they are numpties. Easily misguided and prone to making stupid mistakes. There is a reason why we only allow those 18 years and older to drive, join the army and a host of other activities.

She is a british national nowt more nowt less, and needs to be brought to justice.

Harry has endured enough in his short life to be allowed to whinge. His mother was killed as a result of the perverse relationship the media have with 'celebrities' and his life has been made a misery by very much the same. He has also been to the proper front line and after doing that has made a massive effort to bring the plight of injured service personal to the front of public attention.

Where something is Carp it is quite alright to call it out irrespective of where the Carp is generated.

Those who feel very strong about 'their country' could do worse than doing one of the genetic tests to see where their roots are from. Many would be surprised.
kanga, bladerunner911 liked this
There is a reason why we only allow those 18 years and older to drive, join the army and a host of other activities.

Minimum age for joining the army is 16. Just a few weeks older than Begum when she left this country to knowingly join a murderous campaign.

Begum is entitled to Bangladeshi nationality and has a Dutch husband. She is not ‘stateless’ because her UK citizenship has been revoked.

In the fullness of time the law will decide what to do with her.

As for:
His mother was killed as a result of the perverse relationship the media have with 'celebrities' and his life has been made a misery by very much the same.

His mother was killed because she got into a car with a drunk driver and didn’t wear a seatbelt. She had a fairly unhealthy but frequently symbiotic relationship with the press. So yes, Harry chooses that same path.

But neither he, nor his wife, have to. They stoke the fires themselves.

Where something is Carp it is quite alright to call it out irrespective of where the Carp is generated.

Couldn’t agree more.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:

Harry has endured enough in his short life to be allowed to whinge. His mother was killed as a result of the perverse relationship the media have with 'celebrities' and his life has been made a misery by very much the same.

The only thing I can say with 100% certainty about this whole sorry saga is that I will be forever glad that I wasn't born into the Royal Family. I'm a great admirer of HMQ, but I'd choose my life over hers, or any member of her extended family, every time.

Life in that goldfish bowl / gilded cage would be a true hell on earth for me.

I dread to think what the tabloids would make of some of the things I've posted on here over the years, and having my own life subjected to the same scrutiny as are their lives wouldn't be pretty.

For me, there isn't enough tea in China to make me want to join their ranks - and I love Chinese tea. Perhaps we should walk a mile in a pair of their shoes before we are too harsh on any of them?
kanga liked this
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: I don't know how many 15 year olds you have come across in your life, I can assure you they are numpties. Easily misguided and prone to making stupid mistakes. There is a reason why we only allow those 18 years and older to drive, join the army and a host of other activities.

Well, quite a few actually, and I was 15 myself once. I knew what I wanted to do for a living at 15, even though I didnt end up doing it. You can drive at 17. You can fly a microlight at 15. You can join the Army at 16. Do you have any idea how hard it is to make your way to a war zone half way across the world such as Iraq or Syria? This is not something you decide to do on a whim at 15 or 16.

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:She is a british national nowt more nowt less,

No, she is not, her UK nationality was revoked 2 years ago.

Flyin'Dutch' wrote:His mother was killed as a result of the perverse relationship the media have with 'celebrities' and his life has been made a misery by very much the same.

I think you will find that his mother was tragicly killed because she was not wearing a seat belt in a car driven by someone that was drunk, the intoxication being increased by being on prescription drugs, who drove at high speed, estimated to be at least twice the limit, and lost control of the car.

Opinions may vary as to if the press/media have treated Harry (and indeed his wife) any differently than they do other members of the Royal Family. However, one thing is very clear, and that is that he and his wife do not mind making public their opinions on a range of issues, which will obviously be scrutinized by others, and in the age of social media means anyone can comment publicly - as we are doing here.

Regards, SD..
JAFO, Sooty25 liked this
PtP

You have a more generous nature than me.

I feel 'let down' by my late father, that I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and provided for from cradle to grave.

I am no fan of psychology but on Maslow's hierarchy of needs to have the first two levels, food, water, shelter, security etc pretty much taken care of (well ok, unless your surname is Romanov) puts you pretty much ahead of most of the human species that has ever lived. Leaving only the higher stuff like self-actualisation to worry about (I had to teach this stuff in Singapore in the mid-eighties, and it was only decades later that I found an English language text book that used the term self-fulfilment that I learned what I was on about) sounds like a pretty privileged position to start from.
JAFO liked this
Flyin'Dutch' wrote: ... we only allow those 18 years and older to drive, join the army ...

Ah well, In the Low Countries they must all be later developers than the sturdy Brits who are allowed to drive at 17 having enlisted in the military at 16.

As for the stupid Begum girl. She made her bed etc ... Not wanted here.

Rob P