For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
If the media didn"t mention them--in a couple of months they"d be forgotten.
Maybe they could take the Beckhams with them.
The last thing I wanted when I won my euro millions was publicity- and I told the press no publicity.
You may not give a f**k, but what's going on at the moment may very well lead to the most profound change of UK government since the 1640s. (I doubt that Boris Johnson would bring out the literal axe, though.)

Someone mentioned that a monarchy is based on the belief that some people are better than others. While that has certainly been the case through most of history, I don't think it's true today. A monarch is there for the long run and provides continuity. It's a job that requires a lot of preparation and a hereditary monarchy is intended to give the next person ample time to prepare. That doesn't always work: the current queen and her father were both thrown in the deep end unexpectedly (in the queen's case "unexpectedly soon") and the current PoW has perhaps been waiting for a bit too long.

The compromise between a UK (and Scandinavian) style monarchy and a country like the US is of course what they have in Germany (and other places): an elder statesman, respected by most and with a ton of experience, in a more cerimonial role of president.

The people's preception of the royals is what allows them to continue. Or not. The Swedish monarchy is currently really strong because of the crown princess who is almost universally loved and respected. But things can change fast: the former king of Spain is said to have saved democracy after Franco and during the attempt of a coup in 1981, but his later exploits have severely hurt the monarchy.
Kittyhawk liked this
I saw a nice argument somewhere, it said something along the lines of:

After Her Majesty dies they should abolish the monarchy and have an election for president. The Prince of Wales can put his name forward and, as he has the divine right to rule, clearly he'd win anyway. :D
It seems that many "celebrities" in the US and some of the UK media are taking everything said during the obviously scripted interview as gospel, even though much if not all of it is almost inevitably unsubstantiated by actual evidence. Those predicting the imminent downfall of the monarchy as a result of all this may be in for disappointment. It has withstood many greater upheavals and is still here. Millions of people will have their own suspicions about the veracity of the "explosive" claims made by an individual who was apparently paid handsomely for the interview. Such money is not usually paid out for mundane revelations.

In the midst of all the uproar we should not forget that a 94 year old woman, who has always been deeply loyal to her family, has just seen one of her grandsons publicly turn his back on it. That must hurt, but I suppose puts him on level terms with his wife who is already estranged from hers.

PW
Charles Hunt, Sooty25, MikeE and 1 others liked this
JAFO wrote:I saw a nice argument somewhere, it said something along the lines of:

After Her Majesty dies they should abolish the monarchy and have an election for president.

Dear God! Have they learned nothing from the USA's last presidential experience? :lol:

Rob P
cockney steve liked this
Rob P wrote:
JAFO wrote:I saw a nice argument somewhere, it said something along the lines of:

After Her Majesty dies they should abolish the monarchy and have an election for president.

Dear God! Have they learned nothing from the USA's last presidential experience? :lol:

Rob P

I agree but it was more
The Prince of Wales can put his name forward and, as he has the divine right to rule, clearly he'd win anyway

that made me smile.