For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Work more or less carried on as normal but with 2hr less travelling on most days.

The garden has the fewest weeds since we've lived here. I can't take credit for that - Viv does most of weed/flower filtering but the marginal increase in garden hours might have tipped the balance.

Lockdown 1 I got fitter - 2 and 3 I got fatter.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By riverrock
Rob L wrote:
riverrock wrote:.... PND ....

Post Natal Depression or Paroxysmal Nocturnal Dyspnea?

[I do know which one you mean, Riverrock, but folks should be very careful using abbreviations (and indeed acronyms) in the aviation & medical world;

Fair comment - it was obvious by context in my initial post but not subsequent.
By PeteSpencer
The scientific /literary /universal standard for abbreviations and acronyms in writing is to introduce the abbreviation/acronym the first time it is mentioned in the text, then use it thereafter . e.g. -

‘My doctor diagnosed my sudden attacks of shortness of breath in bed at night as Paroxysmal Nocturnal Dyspnoea .(PND),
The problem with my PND was that it kept waking my wife up. In fact the PND caused untold strife until the doctor finally cured me.’

If we all stuck to this simple rule RobL’s prayers would be answered and the problem would disappear at a stroke. :roll:

We all understand the difference between an abbreviation and an acronym, don’t we? :wink:
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
Haven’t needed to use mnemonics since my med school days.
They’re not commonly used in writing.
Most wouldn’t bear repeating in polite company . :oops: :lol:
Gotta be careful here: don’t want to creep into kanga’s territory :roll:

Hoist with own petard! :lol:
Edit
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
kanga liked this
PeteSpencer wrote:The scientific /literary /universal standard for abbreviations and acronyms in writing is to introduce the abbreviation/acronym the first time it is mentioned in the text, then use it thereafter . e.g. -

‘My GP diagnosed my sudden attacks of shortness of breath in bed at night as Paroxysmal Nocturnal Dyspnoea .(PND)
...:

So what does the acronym GP stand for then?
https://abbreviations.woxikon.com/en/gp
PeteSpencer wrote:
lobstaboy wrote:
So what does the acronym GP stand for then?
https://abbreviations.woxikon.com/en/gp
:roll:

It’s not an acronym :wink:

I know. I was trying to point out that you'd just not followed your own advice by using an abbreviation (GP) without explanation after just telling us that we should do that.
Incidentally I agree - I was brought up/trained always to do that too. I notice that American publications tend to do it backwards, which annoys me:
When first used in the text it should be "General Practitioner (GP)", not "GP(General Practitioner)".

Sooooo... one thing that hasn't changed for me is the urge to be pedantic. Perhaps I need to work on that?
PeteSpencer, kanga liked this
I think we'd better stop there Pete ;) we don't want to risk either of us experiencing an MCI.

Going back to the OP, which I think deserves some reflection, I decided that he means life changing things - in other words things that will continue to be different afterwards. I've learnt:
1. I was right all along, and I don't need to worry about why how I feel or what I think is different from other people
2. I really love flying. I've discovered other stuff which I hope to continue, but I need flying in my life and that has to be a focus because clearly it's later than we think.
By PeteSpencer
OK , my OCD can be a bit OTT especially if drifting from the OP.
My MO has been known to irritate if one CBA to appreciate my misguided attempts at humour! :oops:

I recommend Bryony Gordon’s first rate recently published new book : ´There’s No Such Thing As Normal’
I have adopted one of her mantras for my own use- don’t GAF what other people think of you - :wink:
By PeteSpencer
Of course all of this diversionary banter should not detract from my heartfelt sympathy for what @riverrock and Mrs Riverrock are coping with, having come across this condition professionally over many decades and also more recently in two generations of my own family.Fortunately diagnosis is much earlier now and it does get better.
MikeE, lobstaboy, riverrock and 4 others liked this