For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Good or bad, what are two things that have changed for you the most in the last 12 months?

Circumstances, opinions, tolerance, career choices etc.

1. I’m more tolerant of people. Don’t know why, I just feel I am. I think I’ve properly realised that none of us know what other people are dealing with, silently.

2. I have got fatter.
JAFO, T6Harvard, kanga liked this
Immediate family, (children, grandchildren) continued unchanged as we are bubbled and give childcare. :D
Siblings, in laws, nephews neices, no gatherings of any kind :)

Work, major changes and increased risk. :shock:

Personal well being and optimism for the future has taken a hammering, but eased by the vaccine. :thumright:

Dismay at politicians, even greater than before. :lol:
PeteSpencer liked this
By T6Harvard
I have missed sharing food, drink and laughter with my friends. Hopefully a temporary change though!

I realised that I can keep myself happily occupied with old and new hobbies, and that I love learning - I had forgotten that until lockdown :D

I thank whichever deity may be listening for MrT6 and for our small garden on the edge of a large village. Without them this last 12 months I'd be snookered.
Paultheparaglider liked this
By avtur3
As an independent training provider in the world of aviation fuel supplies, my income has sunk to zero for the last 12 months and there is zero chance of that changing in the coming months.

On the plus side, I have a couple of part-time jobs in the 'motor' sector which thankfully provide me with at least a minimum income.

One of these jobs involves me making, as per original patterns, Tudor Webasto car sunroofs, a name that may resonate with those of a certain age. This doesn't pay anything like aviation fuel consultancy work, but it is a most enjoyable way of (nearly) making a living.

Sorry, this is a shameless plug ... but if anyone needs any help with a Webasto sunroof, we are the only supplier (in the world) who can provide original spec parts or complete installations. Working here just about keeps the wolf from the door but it is incredibly rewarding, I love it, I'm very lucky!!
Flyin'Dutch', T6Harvard, nallen and 1 others liked this
By Genghis the Engineer
(1) I have for the first time in my life been getting a proper 8+ hours sleep every night - as evening activities and early morning commutes have been curtailed.

(2) My finances are healthier than they've ever been before - through some co-incidental consultancy income, but also lack of opportunities to spend on frivolities such as fuel for my car, or going flying.

Plenty of negatives, but no harm in focussing on the few positives.

I had a class 1 renewal this morning, and interestingly my blood pressure is the lowest it's been in at least a decade. The sleep, and probably higher quality exercise than I've done in years (solid running and walking, rather than semi-social martial arts classes, although I'm still doing about 4 hours of that a week online) are probably jointly responsible. At 50, 110/60 is not embarrassing at-all. (My weight hasn't gone down, although my figure is better - defined as fit of datum trousers and jackets - so I suspect I've converted a fair bit of fat into muscle.)

Not a lifestyle change, but I've also enjoyed the complete lack of colds, minor bugs, and so-on that usually come my way in the course of a year.

G
T6Harvard, Pete L liked this
By AndyR
1. An increased appreciation of having a job which allows good work/life balance and has remained as secure as any job ever is these days, throughout the whole chaotic year.

2. The value of time spent kicking back with friends. I’ve really missed that. Even if it’s just a coffee and a chat, I will value time with friends so much more in the future.
T6Harvard liked this
I have missed impromptu restaurant and pub meals. We customarily choose places at random when travelling. Most are what you'd expect, but once in a while you stumble over something a bit special or particularly pleasing.

I seem to have been pitched into retirement as all my remunerative freelance commissions have disappeared, but I have found a temporary unpaid role as an R/T coach (Zoomed) for the BGA. I didn't see that one coming

Rob P
T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
Jim Jones wrote:Immediate family, (children, grandchildren) continued unchanged as we are bubbled and give childcare. :D
Siblings, in laws, nephews neices, no gatherings of any kind :)

Yep we're in a bubble with daughter, S-i-L and grandkids for which Mrs S provides most amazing childcare and other care for daughter.

Have also cleared major to do list of CCTV/remote watering/Christmas lights installations. Well chuffed as can now fly with a clear conscience when the time comes.
T6Harvard liked this