For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Paultheparaglider wrote:
Charles Hunt wrote:Right at this moment. Sainsbury's Taste the difference Traditional Kentish Ale.

Just be careful, Charles. That one is apparently highly infectious. Your neighbours will be knocking on the door as we speak. :wink:

I've been inoculating myself with steady regular intake. I'll be fine.

(More seriously for a moment, first A-Z jab yesterday morning, no side-effects at all as yet, not even a stiff arm.)
TheKentishFledgling wrote:
A Kentish ale on the menu tonight here too, just delivered by the chief brewer himself. Very important to support local businesses :D

(Mrs tKF having the day off tomorrow apparently means we can suspend the normal “no drinking in the week rule. I won’t argue.)

Whilst agreeing with the principle of supporting local businesses, I'd personally be getting that chief brewer to bring around a decent stout. It is winter after all.
Paultheparaglider wrote:
TheKentishFledgling wrote:
A Kentish ale on the menu tonight here too, just delivered by the chief brewer himself. Very important to support local businesses :D

(Mrs tKF having the day off tomorrow apparently means we can suspend the normal “no drinking in the week rule. I won’t argue.)

Whilst agreeing with the principle of supporting local businesses, I'd personally be getting that chief brewer to bring around a decent stout. It is winter after all.

Next week :)

Paultheparaglider liked this
Bill McCarthy wrote:When this is over I’m heading south (on my own) to rediscover my old haunts of Chatham and Portsmouth.

@Bill McCarthy Bill the scenic view out is pretty good from a Champ, and it would be my pleasure to show you your "old haunts" in Portsmouth, flying out of Goodwood, when you're down south. If that appeals, please do get in touch when the time comes.

Rich
Bill McCarthy liked this
TheFarmer wrote:..
Seeing youth beat the ‘youth of today’ negative reputation they have.

:thumright:

As I may have posted before, after 40+ years of instructing Air Cadets, and 20+ of volunteering in local schools (some overlap!), I have become convinced that each generation has been wiser, kinder, abler, open-minded and better-informed than the last, and much more than my generation was in my youth. I have no reason to expect this to change, despite the greater challenges facing them today and probably tomorrow. I was particularly happy to see the 'professional' RAeC awards to the 'amateur' LAA include several to those involved in encouraging and helping youngsters, including some youngsters:

https://www.flyer.co.uk/laa-members-hon ... ub-awards/

Generalised complaints by some olders about the youngers go back to at least Socrates' time (5thC BC), and are unlikely to change. It is, however, disappointing to read that abuse is being directed by their elders (with no more right to be heard, if elected through the same processes) at youngsters (of all political views) who take the trouble to engage through the proper democratic paths:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56087836
Last edited by kanga on Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard, johnm liked this
kanga wrote:
As I may have posted before, after 40+ years of instructing Air Cadets, and 20+ of volunteering in local schools (some overlap!), I have become convinced that each generation has been wiser, kinder, abler, open-minded and better-informed than the last, and much more than my generation was in my youth. I have no reason to expect this to change,

I am afraid that, whilst what you say is probably true of sections of today's younger generation, and almost certainly those with whom you interact in those areas, it cannot be said of it all. Study the violence levels in many if not all of our inner cities, almost exclusively inflicted by and upon members of the younger generation, and the opposite is true. Violence is nothing new in young people, but the levels and frequency of it in those areas certainly is. For all the faults of the Teddy Boys, Mods and Rockers and others in previous generations, the alarming rise in fatal stabbings and shootings today, indeed the ubiquitous use of lethal weaponry, indicates that their behaviour was almost benign by comparison. Some sections of the present younger generation are almost feral.

Perhaps the use of the phrase "younger generation" needs to be qualified?

PW
Nick liked this
@kanga , I totally agree.
As a middle aged person (although, of course, middle age is a moveable feast :lol: ) I detest the perjorative 'snowflake' applied to a youngster who has the temerity to complain about an injustice. Yes, there are always some folk who go the extremes to claim their rights at the cost of others but most younger folk are just more able and willing to engage in thought provoking discussion and to act according to their conscience than some of us were at their age.

Recently I was bowled over when my friend's 19 y.o. son, studying engineering, said he wasn't sure what job applications to submit but it had to be somewhere he could 'give something back'. Another friend's daughter is entering nursing training later this year. They have a huge sense of public service. They are fun-loving, bright kids, happy to engage with those more senior in years, and it is a pleasure to see them growing up with a hard working, caring attitude.

Back to the thread - I can say that what makes me feel good atm...... a Zoom call with my friends' and their funny, witty kids!

PS, studies have shown that is common for people to look back 20 years to 'better times'. Although atm I suspect our rose tinted times are 12 months ago!
johnm liked this