For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Picking up on a few of the above...

Simple pleasures such as a beautiful sunset or a starlit night are priceless.

We have also found that small gestures have suddenly become magnified this last year. Back in May 2020 a friend posted a gift to me for no other reason than she knew I'd love it. It didn't cost much but the absolute kindness brought tears to my eyes. BTW the gift was a small tin with a beautiful picture of a Spitfire :D

It raised my awareness of small gestures being great things.

The knock on effect has been more thoughtfulness from our household. MrT6 bought some IWM postcards and carefully chose appropriate ones for friends and relatives (one about knitting for soldiers to a knitter, war recipes to a cook, etc, etc) , writing a short note before posting them far and wide. They were so well received.
Flyingfemme, akg1486 liked this
Flyingfemme wrote:A V8 burbling away as it warms up.

Indeed nice to hear, but a Spitfire doing a low pass sounds even better. And then I don't have the emotional connection that you Brits have.

As for the original question, I think that the times I've been flying these last twelve months have not only made me feel good: they've been instrumental for my sanity. I live alone and work from home, so even lacking the UK-style lockdown I feel like I've been in prison. Sartre wrote "Hell is other people." I used to believe that, but not anymore.
T6Harvard liked this
akg1486 wrote:
Flyingfemme wrote:A V8 burbling away as it warms up.

Indeed nice to hear, but a Spitfire doing a low pass sounds even better. And then I don't have the emotional connection that you Brits have.

As for the original question, I think that the times I've been flying these last twelve months have not only made me feel good: they've been instrumental for my sanity. I live alone and work from home, so even lacking the UK-style lockdown I feel like I've been in prison. Sartre wrote "Hell is other people." I used to believe that, but not anymore.

I can fully understand that working from home adds a whole new dimension to the need for a change of scene and face to face human interaction. Enjoy the flying and let's hope your proposed trip to Scotland is allowed in the near future.
akg1486 wrote:Indeed nice to hear, but a Spitfire doing a low pass sounds even better.

Not from inside I understand.

Rob P
Rob P wrote:
akg1486 wrote:Indeed nice to hear, but a Spitfire doing a low pass sounds even better.

Not from inside I understand.

Rob P

Sadly no. I have to be content with the roar of a 160hp Lycoming.

Mind you: my car has no V8 either. I drive a Ford Fiesta diesel. :D
When this is over I’m heading south (on my own) to rediscover my old haunts of Chatham and Portsmouth.
I was standing by our submarine in refit in Chatham Dockyard. I want to see Rochester airport where I got my PPl in ‘76 - it was non radio then and I did a lot of bimbling round Kent. Country pubs I used to frequent were the “Yew Tree” near Lenham and the “Duke of Wellington” (Duke of Boot) out in the sticks. They’ve probably been swallowed up in some development or torn down for a motorway.