For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I chipped my collar bone playing cricket at the age of 11.

Fielding at square leg at a distance suitable for 11 year old inter school cricket.

(Yes, I went to a primary school that played against other schools in fixed overs matches in the last year)

I was slowly (absent mindedly) wandering in with each ball and not resetting, as the opposing batsman was just blocking everything when he suddenly decided to swing at the next delivery and hit it as perfect as he could.

I made an attempt to catch it, when to step out of the way at that age and experience (and distance) may have been a better idea, and it hit my collar bone and I ended up in A&E.

Dined out on that for a while as an 11 year old!

Would you believe British Gas used to have cricket teams for each regional head office, and full sports grounds. All sold off when they privatised. I used to play for “Eastern” back in the 90’s, haven’t played since, must go back to it when we can.
T6Harvard liked this
Paultheparaglider wrote:I'm looking forward to our first barbecue of the year this coming Friday.

Aldi rib eye steaks, washed down with a nice St Emilion. Plus, of course, wall to wall sunshine. :thumleft:

We had our first 2021 BBQ on Sunday just gone (lamb shoulder!) - the first since Christmas Day. Hopefully the first of many :D
T6Harvard liked this
Cessna571 wrote:Would you believe British Gas used to have cricket teams for each regional head office, and full sports grounds. All sold off when they privatised. I used to play for “Eastern” back in the 90’s, haven’t played since, must go back to it when we can.

Yes I would. Caught part of Portillo's railway show on the box the other night and it was mentioned that many football clubs used to be railway company clubs - They were talking about Manchester United...
Cessna571 wrote:..

Would you believe British Gas used to have cricket teams for each regional head office, and full sports grounds. All sold off when they privatised....

My father's employer in the '50s had its own cricket team, with 'home' games played on a pitch outside the extensive grounds of the office, beautifully maintained at employer's expense. It (and associated bar afterwards :) was also a rare milieu where 'management' and 'workers' mixed freely. There were plenty of local employers providing similar teams and venues to create a local league. My father played most summer weekends. I had no interest, but my sister was an occasional scorer.

Locally here in Gloucestershire (<slight aviation drift :oops: > ) the 'Dowty Sports and Social Club' had its own sports grounds, clubhouse and even Flying Club affiliate, all subsidised by the company. The Club and grounds still exist, but is now funded wholly by its members, who do not have to have any connexion to Dowty er Messier-Bugatti-Dowty er Safran:

https://www.dowtyclub.co.uk/
I remember Lloyds of London had a pretty swish sports club and grounds in Essex. Wasn’t much use to those of us in the “new” Medway office but shows where the workers, historically, commuted from.
Glaxo had a site, and cricket ground, in Ulverston in Cumbria, and they challenged our boat (in build) to a cricket match - more an excuse for a good booze-up really. We all turned up and intended to play in what we stood in. However, the “scribes” of our boat appeared on the scene in full regalia - white shoes, trousers and arran knit woolly pulley. We were in batting and the rest of us were quaffing copious amounts of “refreshments” on the sidelines. Scribes at some point followed through most fearfully and had an enormous “sunflower”, about the size of a plate, in the aris of his nice white trousers, and didn’t know about it. When it was his turn to bat, he got up and walked nonchalantly on to the pitch. Well, we almost had to be hospitalised due to the amount of laughter that ensued. A good day out, and it was the one and only time that I played cricket.
TheKentishFledgling wrote:
Paultheparaglider wrote:I'm looking forward to our first barbecue of the year this coming Friday.

Aldi rib eye steaks, washed down with a nice St Emilion. Plus, of course, wall to wall sunshine. :thumleft:

We had our first 2021 BBQ on Sunday just gone (lamb shoulder!) - the first since Christmas Day. Hopefully the first of many :D

In the infamous words of GWB, "mission accomplished". :thumleft:

I wonder if today would be too soon for another one? :wink: