For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It just shows how deeply ingrained in the subconscious mind these stereotypes are.....
By Charles Hunt
Laura Kuenssberg was in trouble last week for saying 'nitty gritty'; apparently from those whose sole mission is to be offended by things.
JAFO liked this
By romille
I am too long in the tooth for all the PC sh** that goes on, I am not going to change my choice of words because some self appointed professional moaner has decided them to be unacceptable, if someone wants to take offence, that is their problem. :roll:
Miscellaneous, seanxair, flybymike and 1 others liked this
By Miscellaneous
The worrying thing is, @romille, such PC nonsense is finding its way in to law and is no longer a matter of choice.

Personally I fail to see the alleged of offence in much of it.
By johnm
Miscellaneous wrote:The worrying thing is, @romille, such PC nonsense is finding its way in to law and is no longer a matter of choice.

Personally I fail to see the alleged of offence in much of it.

It's a new UK industry, it is part of the commercial opportunity offered by the compensation culture.
By rikur_
The bit I thought was ironic, is that it clearly stereotypes both men and women ..... man sits on the sofa whilst woman teaches kids, does the ironing etc ...... but the PC police have their own sexism filter that only sees one half of the stereotype.
Miscellaneous liked this
By PeteSpencer
Here’s a new one:
One of the entertainment journals when recently reviewing Netflix’s latest bodice-ripper Bridgerton-a sort of Downton Abbey meets 50 Shades of Grey -described Queen Charlotte who was thought to have a tinge of colour as a mulatto .

The sh it hasn’t hit the fan yet :lol:
By rikur_
Does anyone know of a website that publishes a list of unacceptable terms for reference?

I got picked up yesterday by a colleague of the use of the term "nitpicking" ........ "you can't say that anymore" ..... whilst it was a tongue-in-cheek comment, it did leave me stuck as to whether she'd confused the uproar about 'nitty gritty', or whether nitpicking was also now a socially unacceptable phrase.

I guess journalists and writers must have some guidance somewhere they refer to.