For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyingfemme
Sooty25 wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:That will make you the potential recipient of criticism. And not unreasonably so.

I can live with that prospect, without losing sleep.

I will continue to greet new acquaintances by an appropriate gender related title based on their appearance, as I always have.

Doesn’t, “Dahling!” Cover every eventuality? :lol:
Rob P, Charles Hunt, eltonioni and 1 others liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
"Mi Duck" in Nottingham as I recall
kanga liked this
By Sooty25
Flyingfemme wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:That will make you the potential recipient of criticism. And not unreasonably so.

I can live with that prospect, without losing sleep.

I will continue to greet new acquaintances by an appropriate gender related title based on their appearance, as I always have.

Doesn’t, “Dahling!” Cover every eventuality? :lol:

Nope, I have that reserved just for you! :wink:
Flyingfemme liked this
By kanga
JAFO wrote:
kanga wrote:.. When others, clearly not of 'them', started to use it disparagingly or mockingly, some discomfort or grievance seems reasonable.

Well, not to me it doesn't.

"We like to be called woke."

"Okay, you're woke."

"Oh, we don't want people like you calling us woke."

Doesn't seem that reasonable.

[my underline]

it may clarify my poorly expressed point if that first line is rephrased as "We are flattered if another of us calls us 'woke' ". Analogously, a Skygodly Forumite might not mind if an awed fellow Forumite of their acquaintance called him/her 'Biggles' on casual encounter at the airfield; but might like it less when an article in the local paper or comment on a social media platform complained about "some Biggles noisily looping the loop disturbing local residents outside every nice sunny day". More reasonable ?
By Propwash
There is a certain irony involved in seeing people who have happily embraced the modern use of common words for something which they did not originally mean, as I pointed out earlier in this thread, and the invention of others to alter the long standing rules of our language in respect of pronouns among other things, together with their actual or implied criticism of those unwilling to accept these changes, now complaining because people have started to do the same with other words in ways of which they disapprove.

Language is a means of communication between people and should not be a linguistic minefield. If people are offended because someone has innocently used a word or phrase that they personally feel is inappropriate perhaps they should look to themselves rather than the speaker. :wink:

PW
Miscellaneous liked this
By Miscellaneous
kanga wrote:More reasonable ?

Not really, @kanga, at least by my understanding. :D

woke is woke IE calling a spade a spade.

I don't consider your analogy of referring to someone as biggles where the intent of the word's use is to be offensive, to be calling a spade a spade, :D

As I have often said, actual words used don't necessarily expose contextual intent. :wink:
By stevelup
Isn't wokeness relative? By which I mean someone who is woke might not even consider themselves to be woke because they have normalised it.

I'd say a good 10% of forum members who participate in Help & Advice are well and truly woke... but I bet they wouldn't consider themselves to be so. I see more wokery here than on pretty much any other forum I use!
Miscellaneous liked this
By johnm
Woke is apparently a slang word from African American usage and is defined in the Cambridge Dictionary as :

aware, especially of social problems such as racism and inequality:

Much as I dislike many Americanisms because they undermine the subtlety of meaning in English, I'll own up to being "woke" under that definition.
By riverrock
Is this the same argument about people whose skin colour is, um, I'm not sure the right word today for it, dark?
I've lost track what the non-offensive name is currently, but names which are used between such people don't seem allowed to be used by others. Nigga is the obvious one. African-American doesn't make sense for a Brit. "Black"? "black"? "People of Colour"? Coloured (OK in USA, bad in UK)?
If someone asks me to describe someone, I feel awkward using any skin colour descriptor unless they are white.

Any descriptive word can be used offensively. To me, its how the word is used, not the word itself. Its all PC madness.
Miscellaneous liked this
By stevelup
I moderate another forum and the word Mick is in the swear filter because it's offensive to Irish people apparently.

Problem is, there are four actual ***** (in that they are called ****, not that they are Irish) on the forum, so every time someone addresses them... ****
By nallen
By Rob P
kanga wrote: looping the loop

At least get it right.

"Looping de loop"

Rob P
kanga liked this
By Rob P
In passing, I had a white American woman censure me for calling an acquaintance 'oriental' being that she is of Asiatic appearance and I am uncertain from which particular country she or her forebears originated.

I cross-checked with a Chinese/Brit friend and she said she is perfectly happy to be tagged 'oriental' and in fact prefers it to 'Chinese'.

Rob P
By Paultheparaglider
"The term oriental is often used to describe objects from the Orient. However, given its Eurocentric connotations and shifting, inaccurate definition through the ages, it is widely considered to be an offensive term when used to refer to people of East Asian,[1][2] and South East Asian descent.[3][4]"

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient

@Rob P , the above quote is from Wikipedia. To be honest, it surprised me as I have never thought of the term as being even vaguely offensive, but I guess it is just one more example of the fact that just about any description these days will offend someone. Or offend someone on behalf of someone else.

My wife prefers Hong Kong Chinese as her description, but isn't offended in the slightest by oriental.
Bill McCarthy liked this