For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Yes. Looks like yet more people looking to take offence on behalf of others.

Rob P
JAFO, eltonioni liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
nallen wrote:
riverrock wrote:Coloured (OK in USA, bad in UK)?

Not OK in the USA!

(https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/dahleen-glanton/ct-dahleen-glanton-colored-email-reading-list-20200304-utx7geiwm5hupa3t7w6xr3xqn4-story.html)

Ah - so this is another case in point - an example of a phrase OK for that group of people to call themselves, but not white people to call them that?
eg, one of the biggest campaigning organisations is National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (point made in that article but not discussed).

Its impossible to keep up unless you are embedded in it, and since I really don't care what colour people's skin is, I'm not embedded in it. Same with whatever this month's trend is.
A cycle of:
1. group of people call themselves something
2. others start calling them that
3. someone uses it in a derogatory way
4. original group of people complain about others calling them that term
5. original group of people keep calling themselves that but say noone else should call them that so term makes its way out of fashion
6. repeat
By Paul_Sengupta
johnm wrote:Woke is apparently a slang word from African American usage

Then wouldn't it be cultural appropriation for anyone else to use it?

See, I'm so woke!

Oh, dammit, I guess I'm not.

stevelup wrote:I moderate another forum and the word Mick is in the swear filter because it's offensive to Irish people apparently.

Problem is, there are four actual ***** (in that they are called ****, not that they are Irish) on the forum, so every time someone addresses them... ****

I'd expect them to have a bit of a paddy about that.
kanga, Rob L liked this
By PeteSpencer
Two Irishmen looking for jobs :

Mick complains to Paddy that he always gets rejected at interviews.

Paddy: ‘dats beca use they recognise you as Irish from your nick-name and they’re biased: when I go for a job I always use my full name of Patrick’

So Mick nods sagely :

At his next interview he goes in:

Interviewer: ‘Good morning, come in; and what is your name?’

‘Mickrick’
Sooty25 liked this
By johnm
One of the things I learned while working on the Channel Tunnel was that the French tell Belgian jokes like the English tell Irish jokes.
By eltonioni
riverrock wrote:Thing is, making fun of others is very often a term of endearment rather than actually being nasty.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... neighbours
If you can own your own stereotype, then you can laugh with the jokes about yourself. Much healthier than getting upset!

You mean things that get lost in translation when travelling over the pond, yer daft tart?
By Paultheparaglider
eltonioni wrote:You mean things that get lost in translation when travelling over the pond, yer daft tart?

You might just need a navigation refresher course, eltonioni, if you think the best way to Europe is to head out over the pond. :wink:
By Miscellaneous
Rob L wrote:Offence is mostly taken, not given.

And, moreover, there is no right not to be offended. Society couldn't function if that was the case. We are witnessing the quite alarming effects.

I think both the fully paid up member of the LGBTQ community, Stephen Fry, and the late Christopher Hitchens, from left leaning viewpoints got nail squarely on head.
Stephen Fry wrote:“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so **** what."

Christopher Hitchens wrote:If someone tells me that I've hurt their feelings, I say, 'I'm still waiting to hear what your point is.'

In this country, I've been told, 'That's offensive' as if those two words constitute an argument or a comment. Not to me they don't.
johnm, Rob L, skydriller and 1 others liked this
By Bill McCarthy
@Rob L - on the other hand, you could have got your acquaintance hot under the collar if you called him a bliddy “Kai Tai” !
By Paultheparaglider
A school in Edinburgh has decided to ban the book To Kill a Mockingbird due to "White saviour" attitude.

I studied this book at school, and it left me with a strong impression of the evils of racism. Yes, some of the attitudes are those of its time, but what book isn't written in the context of its time?

This is a powerful book, and removing it is just another sad slide into a political correctness morass of gross stupidity.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-Men.html
mick w, MikeE, Charles Hunt and 2 others liked this
By Sooty25
That very book caused me to drop English Literature as a subject at the earliest opportunity!
By kanga
Paultheparaglider wrote:A school in Edinburgh has decided to ban the book To Kill a Mockingbird due to "White saviour" attitude.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-Men.html

As possibly more nuanced version of what the curriculum leader for English at one Edinburugh school and the headteacher for another actually said at the EIS union's AGM

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/ed ... h-20978722

.. but it may be little surprise how the DM chose to headline and spin it :roll: