For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Paultheparaglider wrote:
johnm wrote:I am finding the use of the word "woke" in a disparaging context increasingly irritating

Can we let it quietly return to its original cultural context please

You need to woke up and smell the coffee, John. :wink:

<ssnnnaaarrllll> :twisted: :D
Paultheparaglider liked this
By Charles Hunt
Just out of interest, can you advise your understanding of ts meaning in its 'original cultural context'?

The only legitimate use I am aware of is a part of speech used when describing the transition from sleep to wakefulness.
Last edited by Charles Hunt on Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
PeteSpencer, seanxair liked this
By kanga
Charles Hunt wrote:Just out of interest, can you advise iyour understanding of ts meaning in its 'original cultural context'?...

a bit of history in this Wikipedia item:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woke
johnm, Keveng liked this
By kanga
Charles Hunt wrote:Sadly my computers refuse to open wikipedia.

from the Wiktionary stablemate:

"Adjective

woke (not generally comparable, comparative more woke or woker, superlative most woke or wokest)

(dialect, African-American Vernacular or slang) Awake: conscious and not asleep.

Synonyms: see Thesaurus:awake

(chiefly African-American Vernacular, slang) Alert, aware of what is going on, or well-informed, especially in racial and other social justice issues.

Synonyms: see Thesaurus:vigilant
Coordinate terms: politically correct (chiefly derogatory), right-on (British)

(slang, often derogatory) Holding left-wing views or attitudes, (especially) with regards to social justice issues or to an excessive degree. "

HTH
By Charles Hunt
Those appear to me to be comparatively recent associations in the UK, not sure about the US. It was John's phrase 'original cultural context' that had/has me confused.
By Cessna571
johnm wrote:I am finding the use of the word "woke" in a disparaging context increasingly irritating

Can we let it quietly return to its original cultural context please

I didn’t give that community that label, they did. They like to be known as “woke” apparently.

I believe it comes from the idea that they are enlightened, awakened?

If a community identifies itself as enlightened/woke, and name themselves with that term, it’s ok to say

“I have no idea how the woke community will deal with the Olympics, I think it will change, but it will be harder for them to work out”

That’s just a statement of fact.

How is it disparaging ?
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Cessna571 In your case you may not have meant it as disparaging, but increasingly it is being used to try to belittle those of a tolerant and inclusive turn of mind....
By kanga
Cessna571 wrote:.. They like to be known as “woke” apparently.

I believe it comes from the idea that they are enlightened, awakened?

How is it disparaging ?

'they' (in these or analogous circumstances and vocabulary) might have liked to be called it when it was by 'their' usage for 'themselves' commendable. When others, clearly not of 'them', started to use it disparagingly or mockingly, some discomfort or grievance seems reasonable. This might be equally, of course, said of any small community whose initially friendly use of a word within their group comes to be used pejoratively by those clearly outside the group; a historic example may be 'bluestocking' (or even 'Biggles' ? :wink: ).
By Sooty25
kanga wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:..

I guess the Olympics will all be mixed events as well now then?

some (equestrian) already are :)

I guessing the horse!
kanga, Charles Hunt liked this
By Sooty25
eltonioni wrote:
Cessna571 wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:
I guess the Olympics will all be mixed events as well now then?

Wasn’t there recently a person who was previously a man who won a woman’s event? I think it was cycling.

I have no idea how the woke community will deal with the Olympics.

I expect there will be changes, but they’ll be slower, harder to work out.

They put their fingers in their ears and pretend a genetic male is a genetic female and let them compete together. A decidedly average male can best an elite female. It’s just beginning but it has to stopped because women’s sport is about to be ruined. Trans women should compete in men’s sport, and vice versa... wear a skirt if you like.

I dare say some would prefer it to be cancelled completely, but not just on gender grounds, but on equality instead. Nobody should be seen to be better than the next.
By Sooty25
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:That will make you the potential recipient of criticism. And not unreasonably so.

I can live with that prospect, without losing sleep.

I will continue to greet new acquaintances by an appropriate gender related title based on their appearance, as I always have.
By JAFO
kanga wrote:'they' (in these or analogous circumstances and vocabulary) might have liked to be called it when it was by 'their' usage for 'themselves' commendable. When others, clearly not of 'them', started to use it disparagingly or mockingly, some discomfort or grievance seems reasonable.

Well, not to me it doesn't.

"We like to be called woke."

"Okay, you're woke."

"Oh, we don't want people like you calling us woke."

Doesn't seem that reasonable.