For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
kanga wrote:..

One Torquemada clue cited to me as an example was 'Help! (13)'. Some may have heard of it and know the answer, but I'll forbear to provide it for others just yet :)

I have been prompted by PM for a follow-up. Rather than the answer, I've incorporated a couple of further wordplay clues.

' "Help! Villainy!" signalled Samuel (13)'.

If that prompts no answers I'll add some letters from implicit crosslights, which I guess the original solvers may well have needed :)
By Rob P
I have heard rumoured today via a consistently reliable source that the spectre of PCness Gorn Maaad is stalking The Imperial War Museum. It will quite possibly no longer retain that name, and there may be some DIRE consequences to aviation at Duxford.

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:I have heard rumoured today via a consistently reliable source that the spectre of PCness Gorn Maaad is stalking The Imperial War Museum. It will quite possibly no longer retain that name, and there may be some DIRE consequences to aviation at Duxford.

Rob P

Can we expect a baying lefty mob pulling down the Hurricane gate guardian and bunging it in the Cam?
Rob P liked this
By Sooty25
Rob P wrote:I have heard rumoured today via a consistently reliable source that the spectre of PCness Gorn Maaad is stalking The Imperial War Museum. It will quite possibly no longer retain that name, and there may be some DIRE consequences to aviation at Duxford.

Rob P

there's a deal going on that is likely to shift 50 of the Land exhibits to the USA soon, if they ship the aeroplanes out as well, I guess they'll have no choice but to build houses.
By Rob P
To be fair, the concrete woodlouse (aka American Airforce Museum) already has a Greenham Common Women's Camp section. Expect lots more of the same.

Rob P
Sooty25 liked this
By kanga
Rob P wrote:.. the .. (aka American Airforce Museum) already has a Greenham Common Women's Camp section...

well, it is part of the history of USAF in UK. If the artefacts are displayed and captioned with historical accuracy, leaving visitors to draw their own conclusions, I have no misgivings.
johnm liked this
By Charles Hunt
The Times today advises we should not use phrases such as "a chink in one's armour"

as this may be offensive to sections of the Chinese community.
mick w liked this
By Rob P
kanga wrote:I have no misgivings.

Nor did I at the time of the AAM revamp as some interesting aviation stuff was done in the same update.

Then came the relaunch at Hendon and it started to get worse. Out went the Battle of Britain experience, out went P/O Maffet's wrecked Hurricane and its accompanying Elgar soundtrack. In came cardboard cutouts of RAF personnel through the ages carefully selected for gender and race unbalance.

Then there's the once wonderful Britain At War Magazine and its feature on being gay in the trenches of the Great War.

As mentioned earlier if the plans proceed Duxford will be wonderfully woke and will lack most interest that we as a community find there today.

I hope Peter is revising his Concorde Tour script (assuming such a polluting exhibit survives the axe.)

Rob P
By kanga
Rob P wrote:.. cardboard cutouts of RAF personnel through the ages carefully selected for gender and race unbalance.

Then there's the once wonderful Britain At War Magazine and its feature on being gay in the trenches of the Great War.

again, stories which deserved to be told, because for a long time they weren't ?

ISTR when it was common to see profiles of 1930s UAS pilots (ie, prewar undergraduates, disproportionately drawn from the privately educated) flying as RAFVR Officers in BoB and getting DFCs, but far less about RAuxAF (drawn from a much wider social class) flying as NCO aircrew and getting DFMs. Analogously, the Windrush stories often failed to mention that many of the first Caribbaean wave were ex-RAF air- and groundcrew returning to a UK where, as volunteers during the war years, they had generally been treated as equal by RAF colleagues but discovering in postwar UK that attitudes from authorities and, eg employers and landlords could be very different. Still undertold are the stories of the people at Bletchley Park and its outstations (at home and overseas), where the very secrecy of the work and the consequent segregation of the staff from 'outsiders' meant that social norms of the time (race, sex, class, sexuality, ..) were simply disregarded, aptitude and talent being all that mattered.

This book, published 2020, was well reviewed:

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/the-glamo ... 526601711/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glamour_Boys_(politicians)

I dislike historical truths being distorted to satisfy any agenda, but welcome undertold true stories being belatedly told or former distortions being belatedly corrected.
johnm, Paultheparaglider, T6Harvard and 2 others liked this
By kanga
Paultheparaglider wrote:@kanga , have you seen the Film "Hidden Figures" about the black female mathematicians at NASA?...

Indeed; an excellent story well told, as it deserved to be :thumright: