For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Morten
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote: the Azed, but they became too easy;

:shock: Respect. :salut: Not something I'd ever expected anyone to say... I feel pleased if I can do half an Azed... :|
By Paul_Sengupta
Half Azed?

Paultheparaglider wrote:I find there is no better paper going to light my woodburner. Not sure why.

Maybe they just want to see the world burn.
By kanga
Morten wrote:.... I feel pleased if I can do half an Azed... :|

Ximenes, which my father used to do which is how I started, was significantly harder, and Torquemada (before my time) before that even harder.

One Torquemada clue cited to me as an example was 'Help! (13)'. Some may have heard of it and know the answer, but I'll forbear to provide it for others just yet :)
By kanga
avtur3 wrote:Our local NHS hospital trust is modifying language used in the maternity department. In among the new terms, breastfeeding becomes chestfeeding, and breast milk becomes chest milk or human milk. :?

text visible on the image of the Times front page (on BBC News daily summary) makes it clear that this is one Trust in an area believed to have an untypically high number of Trans patients. I am not outraged (but rarely am).

By GrahamB
avtur3 wrote:Our local NHS hospital trust is modifying language used in the maternity department. In among the new terms, breastfeeding becomes chestfeeding, and breast milk becomes chest milk or human milk. :?

Some people just can't help making a tit of themselves.
By Rob P
I am sorry guys, the battle is lost, the monstrous regiment assisted by those taking the middle way have triumphed.

WTF was wrong with 'Man-Size' ? :evil:

Rob P
By Sooty25
johnm wrote: though I support the Guardian and Independent as probably the best of a sorry lot....

really? the Guardian must be about the most biased of the lot! Talk about political axe grinders!

If you use Google News, they group together articles from multiple papers on the same issue/incident in the "view all coverage" links. By comparing the lot, you can get a rough idea of what actually happened.

Other than that, Al Jazeera tends to be unbiased on UK and EU subjects if it bothers to cover it, as it has "no dog in the fight".
Pete L liked this
By Pete L
I'd say not only UK - given their local difficulties I suspect they manage to annoy everyone equally :D
By Morten
Sooty25 wrote:If you use Google News, they group together articles from multiple papers on the same issue/incident in the "view all coverage" links. By comparing the lot, you can get a rough idea of what actually happened.

I may be cynical, but I do not think that is how Google news works, even if you ask for 'all'

Factors which will impact what you are served (and in which order) will include
(i) who has paid to have their stuff presented (to the population in general and to people of your profile in particular)
(ii) what you have clicked on before
(iii) what your friends and other connections, as defined by google, have clicked on before... etc. Probably also
(iv) what Google prefers you to read.

(ii) and (iii) tend to have a self-affirming biasing effect which will lead you to see less and less information which may challenge your world view. See if you can find someone outside your normal socio-demography and compare how their Google news page looks compared to yours.

Of course, I could just be a cynic...

Whether you prefer the Al Jazeera editorial policy to the Grauniad is your choice, but an expectation for either (or any) to have no dog in the game or be unbiased may be misguided.
(trust me, I certainly have no dog in the game and am completely unbiased)
johnm liked this
By PeteSpencer
One of the good things about an annual subscription to the paper DT is automatic enrolment to legions of news feeds, comment, competitions etc which drop into my phone three times a day.

So if I don't get time to read the paper copy (and home schooling my granddaughter weekdays takes bloody ages, morning and afternoon) all the important bits are covered.

My only other purchase is the Sun on Saturday for the TVtimes (incl satellite/ freeview etc.)

Beats Radio Times at four times the price, hands down,

Of course there are also the t*ts and thighs which make up for its rather lowbrow editorial style.

And Jeremy Clarkson
By PeteSpencer
GrahamB wrote:

Some people just can't help making a tit of themselves.

Nah, they're just keeping abreast of the times :roll:
johnm liked this
By johnm
........an annual subscription to the paper DT............buy the Sun

You can get treatment for that sort of thing :D
PeteSpencer liked this