For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
When I left the mob and went back to farming, every spring, it was pure joy to witness and hear the return home of migratory birds. It gives a lift of the promise of improving weather to come. I give them all the space they need and take particular interest where they were nesting so as not to disturb. Now I know, and I have a bee in my bonnet about it, that the Buzzard has in the past, taken my Lapwing, Curlew and Corncrake to name a few. I dedicated ten acres to the Corncrake alone - no longer heard or seen. There has been a dramatic reduction in the other ground nesters. The RSPB and SNH are quick to blame the farmer - too easy. “Shoo” away a blackback - they return as soon as you are out of sight. That’s why I lamb inside now.
JAFO, Charles Hunt liked this
@johnm - I would fear for your well being if you went to a West Highland crofters meeting (not likely mind you) and state that the taking of a lamb was rare. A sea eagle will take young deer and a fully grown sheep for heavens sake.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Im afraid that there are too many instances of various organisations (both governmental and charitable) attempting to interfere in farming practices that have worked for generations without considering their overall impact.
By johnm
A sea eagle will take young deer and a fully grown sheep for heavens sake.

I have seen documented instances of a Sea Eagle taking a lamb and I can believe they could get a muntjac or young fallow, but I'd take some convincing they could lift a fully grown sheep.

They are also buzzard and black backed gull predators so it's all a question of balance in the end and humans are part of the system, like it or not.
@johnm Sea Eagle is a generic term, are you sure it is the White Tailed Highland variety you saw the documentary on?

As for buzzards and gulls, they are in a different league size wise.

Around here both Golden and White Tailed are not unusual. Very often with crows pestering them. The size difference is impressive.
By johnm
Yup I've seen evidence of white tailed taking small mammals and new born lambs but nothing bigger....
An eagle WILL attack a fully grown sheep - they don’t have to lift it. They dig the claws into the sheep’s back - the sheep starts to run, the eagle holds on until the ewe exhausts itself - and, a stressed sheep will quickly collapse.
By johnm
Bill McCarthy wrote:An eagle WILL attack a fully grown sheep - they don’t have to lift it. They dig the claws into the sheep’s back - the sheep starts to run, the eagle holds on until the ewe exhausts itself - and, a stressed sheep will quickly collapse.

I did not know that. If you have evidence I'd be very interested to see it. I shall also go looking myself when I have a minute.
By johnm
Well I have had a dig and the only evidence I can find is there are cases of white tailed eagles taking small live lambs but no evidence of larger animals.

Interestingly the Norwegians have no issues with a much larger population of white tails co-existing with sheep, so I wonder what the difference is. I'm guessing that there may be a broader range of prey in Norway perhaps??
By skydriller
johnm wrote:Interestingly the Norwegians have no issues with a much larger population of white tails co-existing with sheep, so I wonder what the difference is.

The fact that there are 33x as many sheep here as in Norway might have something to do with it... :wink:
By kanga
johnm wrote:..

Wild boar introduced in the New Forest are controlled by humans who sell the meat at farmers markets

Beaver introduction has helped with flood management in some places

.. combining bothth those stories: I have been keeping one of my Labradorian relatives abreast of stories of beaver reintroductions in UK. He warns that, if the European species is anything like the North American, their numbers will quickly get out of control - but they make good eating, even if the pelt market is now less than it was :wink:

['London Zoo' in Regent's Park and its other part at Whipsnade are, of course, run by the scientific Zoological Society of London, whose principal activities are in research and conservation of global significance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoologica ... _of_London

I may have previously mentioned that I know a British autogyro pilot who volunteered to spend time volunteering as a pilot/observer (officially, only the latter! But chief pilot had an instructor rating, so flights could be logged as P u/t) on anti-poaching patrols with a charity in Kenya. I believe there are analogous opportunities for fixed wing pilots in parts of Africa.

Sydney Zoo is a favourite withoury grandchildren there, and I believe it has been genuinely educational for them, especially on the threats to native fauna. Similarly, our UK grandchild enjoys the wide open enclosures of the Cotswold Wildlife Park. ]
By johnm
skydriller wrote:
johnm wrote:Interestingly the Norwegians have no issues with a much larger population of white tails co-existing with sheep, so I wonder what the difference is.

The fact that there are 33x as many sheep here as in Norway might have something to do with it... :wink:

That should mean that we wouldn't miss a few taken by the white tails
By skydriller
johnm wrote:That should mean that we wouldn't miss a few taken by the white tails

Ill let you reimburse Bill for his "inconsequential" losses...
Nearer your area, not an eagle but nevertheless gruesome - don’t know how to attach reference but on YouTube - “ Birds Kill 200 Lambs on a Single Isle of Wight Farm” ). I couldn’t watch it all. Acceptable loss ?