For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
a zoo story with no downsides ? Zoo enabling reproduction of endangered species after damage to their habitat by human activity accident:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce6r9ll70vno

"Reptiles housed by Jersey Zoo after oil spill reproduce"

' .. Jersey Zoo took in the animals after the Ile aux Aigrettes oil spill

Conservationists said the animals had to be sent away because here was no local biosecurity centre

The lesser night geckos, Bojer’s skinks and Bouton’s skinks have produced more than 100 offspring

Those involved in the rescue said they were "so happy" the animals had been able to breed ..'

[cute picture, too :) ]
mick w liked this
We are great fans of Banham zoo - a very short distance from Old Buckenham if you fancy a visit.

It's not an old style zoo. It's a park where controlled breeding of endangered or threatened species is one of their key aims, so if we ever do mange to stop destroying their habitat there will at least be some breeding stock available to repopulate. This is done with a number of partner parks worldwide to increase the DNA diversity and reduce the dangers of interbreeding. None of the significant animals there are allowed to reproduce without the final destination of the offspring being established.

We returned as Covid restrictions were lifted and got the definite impression that many of the animals were happy to have the display of visiting humanity restored. Certainly the Pallas's Cats were fascinated by the presence of the gawping Pritchards

They do raise money by selling experiences. I can't see much harm being done by allowing Sandra to offer them the morning feed rather than a keeper. And Sandra loved it, one of the most successful Christmas presents ever. (I avoided the keeper experiences that involved dung shovelling)

Well worth a flying visit in my opinion. I think we are back again with friends' offspring (delivered to us by air) in a couple of weeks.

Rob P
kanga, johnm liked this