For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By akg1486
kanga wrote:Saturday 8 May, BBC 4, 2100:

New Danish crime series:"Blinded: those who kill"

It was released in Scandinavia a bit earlier, so I've watched six of the eight episodes. It's not bad, but the pace is not that high. This is a second season of a series from 2019, but it's essentially only the main character (the profiler) that returns so it can be watched without having seen the first.
kanga liked this
There are two very similarly named series on iPlayer - Darkness: Those Who Kill, and also Blinded: Those Who Kill. Not sure which is S1 or S2 as IMDB lists them both under the title Darkness: Those Who Kill. So which to watch first?
By akg1486
Colonel Panic wrote:There are two very similarly named series on iPlayer - Darkness: Those Who Kill, and also Blinded: Those Who Kill. Not sure which is S1 or S2 as IMDB lists them both under the title Darkness: Those Who Kill. So which to watch first?

Judging by the image and the caption on the BBC4 schedule, the one that started Sunday ("Blinded:...") is the second season. But, as I wrote, the two seasons only have the main character in common and there are no loose ends from the first that are picked up in the second. So you can watch them in any order.

The original Danish title for both seasons is better translated as "Those Who Kill -- Caught by Darkness". There's also a different series with ten episodes called "Those Who Kill" from 2011, That series has nothing in common with the other two. It starred Lars Mikkelsen who later went on to appear in Sherlock (as the villain Charles Magnusen) and in the US version of House of Cards (as the Russian president). I liked that series better, but the IMDB voters don't agree. I'm guessing they reused the title name because of the sucess of the first series. There was also a TV-movie in 2011 with the same cast; I haven't seen that.
Colonel Panic liked this
Having watched all 8 seasons of Spiral, to consolidate our newly acquired fluency in French, decided to try something a bit lighter, so started "Call My Agent" on Netflix. Very different, good fun and Josephine turns up in S01E04 :D
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
malcolmfrost wrote:... and Josephine turns up in S01E04 :D

Almost sufficient justification for me to investigate Netflix, were it not for my recently found obsession with Mrs Coulter / Alice elsewhere. She (Ruth Wilson) seems also to appear in some costume drama that is being punted widely.

Rob P
By kanga
Monday 17 May, 2250, Talking Pictures TV: The Small Back Room (1949); Powell and Pressburger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Small_Back_Room

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041886/

Not as good as the original 1943 book, but worth watching

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Small ... oom_(novel) )
A bit short notice, but at 9pm tonight there is a programme by Rob Bell about life on board a nuclear sub, HMS Vengeance. On channel 132 Paramount on Freesat. I don't know the Freeview channel number, but I guess it will also be named Paramount.

@Bill McCarthy might be interested.
By MachFlyer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:Thursday 3 June (or early morning Friday 4 June, actually!), 0335, Talking Pictures TV

"IWM: Fly with the RAF"(1975)

Thanks Kanga :thumleft:
I recorded this and have just watched it. Remarkably enjoyable even if I was only 8 years old when it was filmed :D
kanga liked this
By kanga
Mon 14 June, Talking Pictures TV, 2100: "Angels One Five" (1952)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_One_Five

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0046714/

One of the better avowedly fiction (as opposed to 'dramatised history') BoB movies

[and, of course, Hurricanes rather than Spitfires, of which 1,000s at the time of BoB were made by Gloster :) ]
By Rob P
This is only really a recommendation whilst the chavball is displacing a lot of the broadcast stuff that's worth watching (Basically, The Repair Shop)

The Pleasure Principle - Walter Presents / All 4. A ten-parter

We have been along this route before. ISTR it was called The Team. A joint production with interlinked crimes in three countries tackled by three police forces.

This time around we have the dark, brooding but handsome cop with a secret and the mysterious ability to have attractive women coming on to him just walking through a club to meet a grass. He is from Odessa in the Ukraine. Has the worst car yet seen in a police series and a 1.5 metre spherical assistant who carries a huge notebook with him everywhere

Then we have Saga Norén meets Philomena Cunk, the Warsaw end of the story. Limited set of social skills and a predilection of picking up men to use for her pleasure at the drop of a hat (or some other garment). She too has a secret possibly linked to her being investigated by the Polish version of AC12 for a suspected extra-judicial execution.

Finally we come to Prague where the cop with a secret, (he coughs a lot), is of the grizzled, bearded, world-weary, about-to-retire-to-spend-time-with-his-family persuasion. I am not taking bets on him making it to the end credits of episode 10.

The crimes involve a lot of naked and dismembered pretty girls. Don't they always?

Is it worth watching?

Make your own mind up. We have invested three hours so far in watching Eps 1-3 so probably will continue unless something better appears.

The title is a mystery. Pleasure seems most noticeable by its absence. Originally "Zasada przyjemnosci"

Rob P
kanga liked this