For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
We are currently watching The Promise which I think the BBC is currently airing in the old Spiral Saturday night slot, but as ever, is available on iPlayer.

It's another French police procedural, this time set around Bayonne. It follows two different timelines with the (attractive) female flic looking into a case that links to one that had marked the end of her father's career as a detective.

For those who watched Crimson Rivers, Olivier Marchal does his world weary cop act once more.

It's not Spiral. What every French police force needs is Gilou.

Rob P
kanga liked this
By kanga
Rob P wrote:..

It's another French police procedural, this time set around Bayonne...

watched and enjoyed the first 2 episodes last Saturday.

However, I was slightly disappointed that, although set in a Basque region (and current Mayor of Baiona has a Basque surname) it was all in French. The scripwriters have, as far as I noticed, (so far) not taken advantage of the opportunity to introduce any associated cultural features even as character surnames let alone as source of plot development or tension. In equivalents set and made in Wales or Belgium I've (selfishly) come to expect more linguistic indulgence. Perhaps the French cultural ethos is still unthinkingly monolinguistically francophone.
Rob P liked this
By akg1486
VRB_20kt wrote:Downfall: The Case Against Boeing

Now on Netflix.

Watched it today; time well spent. One aspect that I missed was that the no-training-needed-requirement that Boeing had for the 737 Max probably was, at least in part, placed on them by their customers. Many of them, as we know, are also constantly chasing costs.

A young friend of mine was PF on the first flight with passengers on a 737 Max delivered from the factory. He told me at the time that all that was needed was to run through a CBT-course, just as the documentary describes. The airline where he worked was a low-cost airline famous for cutting costs. (And employees, especially in the pandemic.)
By Boxkite
akg1486 wrote:
Rob P wrote:Ah well. We just blitzed the remaining six episodes in one evening.

Rob P

Five episodes yesterday; the remaining three today.

Looking forward to more seasons; there's plenty of source material.

Unfortunately for him, he's got a job for life if they work their way through all the books.
Rob P wrote:We are currently watching The Promise which I think the BBC is currently airing in the old Spiral Saturday night slot, but as ever, is available on iPlayer.

Watched E1 last night and enjoyed it - all the more so for seeing The Bureau's "Mule" as part of the team.
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:
Rob P wrote:We are currently watching The Promise which I think the BBC is currently airing in the old Spiral Saturday night slot, but as ever, is available on iPlayer.

Watched E1 last night and enjoyed it - all the more so for seeing The Bureau's "Mule" as part of the team.

I watched the first two episodes and would have carried on if I hadn't had to get up and work. Enjoyable -- thanks for the tip, Rob.
By nallen
@Rob P In a similar vein -- female cop unravelling family secrets while solving case -- the Italian series Thou Shalt Not Kill on Walter Presents is OK. Miriam Leone is not unattractive …
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
nallen wrote:The Italian series Thou Shalt Not Kill on Walter Presents ...... Miriam Leone is not unattractive

It has just moved to the top of the 'view next' list.

Mrs P is blitzing Ozark which I think is Netflix. I am not on board with that one so can't comment,

Rob P
By GrahamB
Rob P wrote:Mrs P is blitzing Ozark which I think is Netflix. I am not on board with that one so can't comment,

I started on that during one of the lockdowns and got bored with it.
By Rob P
nallen wrote:... the Italian series Thou Shalt Not Kill on Walter Presents is OK.

Best to start with Series 1 or skip straight to Series 3?

Rob P
By nallen
Rob P wrote:
nallen wrote:... the Italian series Thou Shalt Not Kill on Walter Presents is OK.

Best to start with Series 1 or skip straight to Series 3?

Rob P

I'd start at the beginning -- the backstory stuff might get confusing otherwise.
By Rob P
@nallen

That's good because we already have started there.

So far so good.

Rob P
nallen liked this
By Rob P
VRB_20kt wrote:Downfall: The Case Against Boeing

Now on Netflix.

Dear God! If this had been the plot of a mini-series we'd all been scoffing "That could never happen"

Rob P