For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
There's some well dodgy types on that. They make the perps on Engrenages look respectable.
By Rob P
As mentioned in the relevant thread we've opted out of following the fable of AC12 for a while, maybe for ever, and are currently enjoying the sights and sounds of Annecy and as blessed relief from Covid...

... an outbreak of Ebola.

For Engrenages fans Bremont appears again

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/fear-by-the-lake

Interesting fact. Annecy is the European home of the head of AstraZeneca, so expect an Ebola vaccine soon.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
By kanga
Rob P wrote:..

Interesting fact. Annecy is the European home of the head of AstraZeneca, ..

of further local interest here, Annecy is municipally twinned with Cheltenham, both being spa towns...

https://cheltenhamtwinning.wordpress.co ... ns/annecy/ :)

[In February 2020 the usual annual group visit was being planned, and applications being invited. What could possibly go wrong ? :roll:

https://cheltenhamtwinning.wordpress.co ... necy-news/ ]
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Wholeheartedly agree.

We broke a flight to Como with an overnight there. Just made me eager to visit again. Lovely little town, hassle-free airfield.

Rob P
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:As mentioned in the relevant thread we've opted out of following the fable of AC12 for a while, maybe for ever, and are currently enjoying the sights and sounds of Annecy and as blessed relief from Covid...

... an outbreak of Ebola.

For Engrenages fans Bremont appears again

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/fear-by-the-lake

Interesting fact. Annecy is the European home of the head of AstraZeneca, so expect an Ebola vaccine soon.

Rob P

That's the third of three series, isn't it? And the first being a different lake with a different cast?
By Pete L
We've just worked through the three David Hare/ Bill Nighy spy films on Netflix - a thinly disguised critique of ACLB - Page 8, Turks & Caicos, Salting the Battlefield.

For some reason we missed them when they were originally shown on terrestrial but as an exercise in slightly preachy putting the boot in while still having a decent story and acting, very good.. Quiet thrillers rather than noisy or excessively tense.

Helena Bonk-'em Carter is in two episodes.
By Rob P
Pete L wrote:That's the third of three series, isn't it? And the first being a different lake with a different cast?

Almost certainly. We have watched both the preceding stories and frankly I can remember nothing about them

Rob P
Rob P wrote:
Pete L wrote:That's the third of three series, isn't it? And the first being a different lake with a different cast?

Almost certainly. We have watched both the preceding stories and frankly I can remember nothing about them

Rob P

S1 was worse than an Agatha Christie novel - I don't think anyone escaped being blamed for the murders at some point. Mind you, Lise in S1 was far more engaging than her replacement in S2 ...
By Rob P
We watched Season Three through to the bitter end and really wouldn't recommend it to anyone who isn't trying to educate their ears to spoken French. It's about an Ebola pandemic in Annecy (deliberate) but I fear that all of us having experienced something very similar in Real Life the novelty factor is pretty negligible, as is the realism.

Back to British Crime we watched the first ever episode of Luther where Lenny Henry investigates Mrs Coulter from His Dark Materials. She is wholly amazing and I am possibly more in love with her than previously, even though her exquisite dress sense seems to have taken a hit. He is less convincing. Are they really punting him as Craig's replacement for the next Bond-saga? She'd be a much better choice.

Rob P
Colonel Panic liked this
By Pete L
We've been watching the police corruption series on BBC2. Some it I can remember from the papers at the time, but some not. Definitely a reason why we need well funded professional journalism - I can't see how citizen journalists would have got the same attention or managed to survive the intimidation. Also notable for one of the early uses (unsuccessfully) of the 'fake sheikh' ploy.
By kanga
Not streaming, and aviation-related :oops: , but following has been tipped to JAM volunteers by a Farnborough museum (FAST) contact:

Friday 30 April, BBC2, 1830, "Great British Railway Journeys"

.. Portillo starting in Farnborough :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000vlk7

"Michael is heading for Farnborough, Hampshire, famous today for its airshow and home to what was then the Royal Aircraft Establishment. Richard Gardner of the Farnborough Air Sciences Trust tells Michael about the boffins who worked here and the inventions they came up with, such as retractable landing gear and flight-pressurised suits. Michael discovers that research here was so secret that the airfield was not marked on the map, let alone mentioned in his Bradshaw’s guide..."
By kanga
Some more aviation movie nostalgia :

Saturday 8 May, 1215,Talking Pictures:"One of our aircraft is missing"(1942)

Sunday 9 May, 1815, Paramount Network:"Battle of Britain"(1969)

Also two new series starting

Saturday 8 May, BBC 4, 2100:

New Danish crime series:"Blinded: those who kill"

Sunday, 2200, Ch4:

"Fargo"(series 4)