For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
kanga wrote:Wed 23 June, 0735, Talking Pictures TV:

BEA: Number one in Europe (?1969, 40 minute promotional documentary)

I have just watched this. An interesting look back in time to what now seems like a very different age.

My own first flight was in a BEA Viscount in the early sixties to Jersey. I don't have a very clear memory of the details, but recall it was quite noisy and vibrated a lot.

Anyway, thanks once again for an interesting heads up.
By kanga
I liked seeing the clip with Cunningham in the context of Trident Autoland testing, for which he was the dH (later HS) Test Pilot.

On both that and in the testing of the Comet autopilot, both made by Smiths (of course :wink: ), one of the Smiths' avionics Flight Test Engineers was the co-founder and, when I joined, still the gaffer of our Staverton syndicate. He was a PPL, builder/restorer, and PFA Inspector. For some Comet flights he sat in the P2 seat, and had Cunningham (name and signature) as P1 in his PPL logbook :thumright:

When we lived in Switzerland, '50s-'60s, our flights between Geneva and London were usually BEA (old livery, of course) Viscounts, Vanguards, Comet 4B or Trident. When we first moved there, Swissair were using Convair Metropolitans on the route, but eventually introduced Caravelles. I recall the BEA cabin staff with refined British accents in English, still audible in their excellent French also :)
Last edited by kanga on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paultheparaglider liked this
By TheKentishFledgling
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
malcolmfrost wrote:Time is very good, a bit grim, makes Spiral look like Call my agent! Sean Bean and Steven Graham on top form.

We watched the first Time the other night: “a bit grim” is quite the understatement :D Thought Sean Bean was fantastic.

Looking forward to watching the rest.
Pete L liked this
Did I ever mention that I have met Sean Bean, (and his then squeeze Abigail Cruttenden). He was a very nice guy and surprisingly shy. Wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of his right hook mind. His personal history before he took up acting is interesting. I have met a few performers of various kinds over the years but he is one of the few I would pull into my lifeboat.

PW
By Rob P
Rob P wrote:
The Pleasure Principle - Walter Presents / All 4. A ten-parter

<snippety snip>

Is it worth watching?

Answering my own question and having reached episode 10 last night, Yes. Best last five minutes of a series for a long time.

Meanwhile - Nordic Murders Series Two appears, Friday July 9 and then streamed in its entirety on All4

Rob P
kanga liked this
By Dave W
Final season of Bosch (from the Michael Connelly novels) mentioned earlier recently made available on Amazon Prime. Superb, with an enormously talented cast and well-rounded characters throughout.

We are also thoroughly enjoying the 6 seasons of Justified, a series based around a maverick (of course!) US Marshal in contemporary Kentucky. Witty and gritty.
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
We watched some of Bosch S1E1 last night, it didn't immediately grab us but we'll give it a go, if only to fill in the void until Nordic Murders.

Rob P
By Pete L
TheKentishFledgling wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote:Time is very good, a bit grim, makes Spiral look like Call my agent! Sean Bean and Steven Graham on top form.

We watched the first Time the other night: “a bit grim” is quite the understatement :D Thought Sean Bean was fantastic.

Looking forward to watching the rest.

Not my cup of tea (with or without bromide), but the p*ss-take on Dead Ringers has been great.
By kanga
Rob P wrote:.. to fill in the void until Nordic Murders.

Rob P

from new Radio Times:

Nordic Murders Ser 2 starts More4, 2100, Fri 9 July

Beck Ser 8 starts BBC4, 2100, Sat 3 July :)

[and, for classics:

Sons of the Desert TalkingPictures TV, 1635, Sun 4 July

The 39 Steps (2008), Drama, 2000, Tue 6 July;
not the best remake, but features an (anachronistic, for pre-WW1 scenario, but who cares ? :wink: ) SE5 (replica) :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_39_Steps_(2008_film)

]
By Rob P
Rob P wrote:We watched some of Bosch S1E1 last night, it didn't immediately grab us but we'll give it a go

Well we got to the end of Series 1 and whilst it was an almost adequate time-passer, I think it unlikely we will bother with later series.

Beck is new to me, we'll give it a go this week.

Any thoughts on The Watch which is now, or soon, on iPlayer?

The Watch is a fantasy police procedural television programme inspired by the Ankh-Morpork City Watch from the Discworld series of fantasy novels by Terry Pratchett. The series, developed by BBC Studios for BBC America

Rob P
By akg1486
Rob P wrote:Beck is new to me, we'll give it a go this week.

If that's one of the Scandinavian series, I think you should give it a miss. They are based on characters developed in ten (excellent) novels from 1965 to 1975. Several movies and TV-movies based on the book were made in the 60s to 90s, but the TV-series are not of high quality. My guess is that they chose to include well-known characters in order to boost viewings.

There's a Hollywood movie from 1973 starring Walter Matthau called The Laughing Policeman that's based on one of the ten novels, but with the action changed from Stockholm to San Francisco. I've seen it once long ago, but from I remember it was a pretty faithful adaptation for being a Hollywood movie based on a European book.

We've had a couple of days with poor weather, so I've been re-watching Breaking Bad. It really is an excellent series!

(Edit: I messed up the "quote"-markers.)
By Rob P
Ah... I never did take to Breaking Bad.

The Watch. Two episodes down and it's making a great break from the more serious stuff. A few laugh out loud moments, a lot of smiles in a none too serious police procedural with added steampunk , based on the world and characters created by Terry Pratchett, but largely hated by Pratchett fans because it doesn't slavishly follow any of his book.

Pretty much Marmite, and I love Marmite

Rob P