For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Well having scrapped our West Country escape, and looking at the forecast, I am guessing there will be lots of tele-watching in our house over the next two weeks.

Our preference is for serial scandi noir - there was a thread in which The Valhalla Murders (Iceland) popped up a few weeks back. We watched it through to the end and it was OK, but certainly no Bridge

So I am looking for recommends / critiques of streaming stuff and am happy to offer up:

The Nordic Murders (All 4)

Police procedural meets family drama. It centres on three German women. Mother, ex-Prosecutor in small Northern town, just released from prison. Daughter, local detective, not hugely fond of her mother, in the middle of an affair with a Polish police officer (Shades of The Bridge, cross border co-operation / fraternisation) and teen granddaughter, prefers grandma to mother. Five episodes, self-contained story in each but with a running theme.

We just finished Ep4 last night and are eagerly looking forward to Ep5

Rob P
Undercover (Dutch/Belgian cop drama on Netflix) was OK, but again, no Bridge.
The Queens Gambit (chess drama, again on Netflix) was most excellent.
Twin (Norwegian, Netflix) - really struggled with this & gave up.
Bordertown (Finland, Netflix) was quite entertaining.
The Minions of Midas (Spain, Netflix) had quite an interesting storyline.

Walter Presents / C4 stuff can be good, but sadly stuffed to the gunwales with adverts so I rarely bother.

I started to watch Game of Thrones on Now.tv but other than the nudity it never held my attention so gave up.
By kanga
I have only recently cottoned on to All4. Wish I had long ago! We subscribe to no pay streaming services, so it's a great bonus. But the Nordic Murders (13 episodes of Series 1 according to IMDB; 'Usedom-krimi' in original German title) has been broadcast on More4 (2100 Fridays; currently on a break over Christmas), so I've been able to record from there.

I enjoyed there Badehotellet (Danish), not crime, but amusing 1920s social drama; unfortunately, only Season 1 (of 7, according to IMDB) seemed to be on All4 when I last looked:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badehotellet

I'm currently intermittently (when I have time) watching Cain ('Inspector Cain' in All4 listing), French crime series:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2364258/
Pete L liked this
By GrahamB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The Forest (Netflix) was a reasonable French watch for me a few days ago, only six episodes, so not too much invested if it’s a flop. Better than The Break, a Belgian one set in the same region the other side of the border

I’m rapidly falling in love with Suzanne Clément, but it’s really only treading water until Engrenages returns. :P
Colonel Panic, kanga liked this
By GrahamB
Pete L wrote:Any proper Dutch subtitled thrillers? Working intermittently there and these foreign language thrillers are a good way to pick up a few words.

'Undercover' on Netflix? Supposedly based on a true story.
Pete L liked this
By akg1486
Another +1 for The Queen's Gambit. For those who are chess players, I can recommend the youtuber agadmator's analysis of some of the games played. They are based on real games and improved upon by, among others, former world champion Garri Kasparov.

I just started watching Your Honor with the always excellent Bryan Cranston on HBO. Only two or three episodes available yet with one added every week. I've seen the first and will definitely follow.

Just the other day I watched the movie Shaun of the Dead with Simon Pegg,that I completely missed when it came out some 15 years ago. Very appropriate this year.
By skydriller
akg1486 wrote:I watched the movie Shaun of the Dead with Simon Pegg,

Simon Pegg has done quite a few rather amusing movies - saw "Paul" the other day. For Scandi fans, the original swedish "dragon trilogy" of films is pretty good too. Also "Wallander" - either Kenneth Branagh (english) or Krister Henricksen (Swedish) versions.

Regards, SD..
By Rob P
skydriller wrote: For Scandi fans, the original swedish "dragon trilogy" of films is pretty good too.

They are superb. Even the Anglicised one with Daniel Craig wasn't bad.

Looking up the list above there are some interesting options, though we are a little hampered, not being Netflix subscribers.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PeteSpencer
skydriller wrote:
akg1486 wrote:I watched the movie Shaun of the Dead with Simon Pegg,

Simon Pegg has done quite a few rather amusing movies - saw "Paul" the other day. For Scandi fans, the original swedish "dragon trilogy" of films is pretty good too. Also "Wallander" - either Kenneth Branagh (english) or Krister Henricksen (Swedish) versions.

Regards, SD..

Where are the dragon trilogy?: Saw the Craig one this week: But preferred Noumi Rapace as the original 'Dragon Tattoo' girl.