For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TravellerBob
TheKentishFledgling wrote:...one of the most brilliantly delivered lines by Ralph Fiennes. Makes me chuckle just typing it!

Certainly much funnier than "Kill the spare!" Another of his quotes. :oops:
By kanga
kanga wrote:..

Sun 5 Sep, Great Movies Action, 2012, 'Shady Lady' (2012) - about a real 1943 Liberator mission

https://web.archive.org/web/20110906115 ... ylady.html
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2056694/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

I had recorded this, and watched it yesterday. Credited locations were Australia, UK and US. Included among the 'acknowledged assistance' list was the Gatwick Aviation Museum.

One of the recreated 'contemporary' (ie, 1943) sets was representing the interior of a military tent acting as a joint RAAF/USAAF ops room. The producers had obviously gone to great lengths to include only authentic contemporary props, eg WW2-era HF radios, telephones, lamps, .. I was pleased to note that the little desk clock was clearly marked 'Smiths', ie another great Gloucestershire aviation industry product :) [although the company had started as clock- and watch-makers in the 19th c]

A well-told (scripted and filmed) documentary, btw. :thumright:
By Rob P
I must admit I had to Google that.

Rob P
By Rob P
I just had a quick peek at this

Is it typical?

Rob P
By akg1486
Bumping this thread with a tip about the new Danish "Scandinavian Noir" crime series "The Chestnut Man" on Netflix. One of the producers is the man behind "The Killing" that launched the success of the genre.

I've watched three of the six episodes so far, and it's exactly what it says on the tin: not revolutionary, but a solid example of modern Danish crime drama.
kanga, Rob P liked this
By Rob P
Sounds good. Regrettably I'm not a Netflix subscriber. :(

Rob P
By kanga
Saturday evening BBC4 'foreign police series' 2100 slot starting 9 October: 'Paris Police 1900'

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10840070/

"Showing a very different version of Belle Époque Paris, we enter the city upon the sudden death of President Félix Faure, and rising anarchy amid the prominence of the far right and anti-Semitism. Called out of retirement to restore order, the police chief will cross paths with a corrupt cop, an ambitious young detective and a courtesan enlisted as a spy. Created by comic book artist Fabien Nury, this is a violent, gritty and gripping drama."

"Paris, France, 1899. The corpse of an unknown woman is found in the river Seine. The investigation will push a young ambitious inspector to discover a heavy state secret."

-----------------

Aviation nostalgia:

Sat 9 Oct, 'Great Movies Action', 1050: 'A Yank in the RAF' (1941)

Blatant British effort to enlist support of still neutral US audiences; but gists suggest there may be quite a few contemporary flying sequences :)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0034405/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

"An American pilot impulsively joins His Majesty's Royal Air Force in Britain in an attempt to impress his ex-girlfriend."

"Tyrone Power is a pilots' pilot, but he doesn't believe in anything beyond his own abilities. He gets into trouble by flying a new fighter directly to Canada instead of to New York and letting it be towed across as the law demands, but is offered a new job ferrying bombers to war torn England. While on a layover he finds Betty Grable, an old flame, has joined the RAF as a member of the Womens Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) in her attempt to fight for democracy. Power joins up to impress her and in the course of his several missions begins to develop an understanding of what they are fighting for."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Yank_in_the_R.A.F.

"A Yank in the R.A.F. is a 1941 American black-and-white war film directed by Henry King and starring Tyrone Power and Betty Grable. Released three months before the attack on Pearl Harbor plunged the United States into World War II, it is considered[by whom?] a typical early-World War II production. Originally titled The Eagle Squadron, it is based on a story by "Melville Crossman", the pen name for 20th Century Fox studio chief Darryl F. Zanuck. It follows an American pilot who joins the Royal Air Force (RAF), during a period when the United States was still neutral."

------------

Also:

Tue 12 Oct, 'Smithsonian Channel', 2000. 'Breaking the sound barrier'

Described as 'New' in RT, but that may mean only new to this channel. Gist in RT mentions only Yeager, but I'll be interested to see if the Miles M15 is mentioned :? PBS America and Smithsonian documentaries are, in my experience, marginally more likely than some other US channels' ones to mention non-US achievements and contributions.

Repeats: Tue 2300, Wed 1000 and 1600, Thu 0700 2100 and 2400, Fri 1800!
By Propwash
kanga wrote:
Aviation nostalgia:

Sat 9 Oct, 'Great Movies Action', 1050: 'A Yank in the RAF' (1941)

Blatant British effort to enlist support of still neutral US audiences; but gists suggest there may be quite a few contemporary flying sequences :)

That's an interesting perspective. It appears to be an American written and directed film starring (mostly) American actors. I would imagine the funding was American too. :wink:

From memory of seeing it a great many years ago it was typical Hollywood fare, but slightly better (because of the aviation content) than Mrs Miniver. :lol:

PW
By Rob P
kanga wrote:Saturday evening BBC4 'foreign police series' 2100 slot starting 9 October: 'Paris Police 1900'

Ah yes, but will Gilou be in it?

Rob P
By kanga
Saturday 16 Oct, Talking Pictures TV, 1835, "Went the day well ?" (1942)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Went_the_Day_Well%3F

".. a 1942 British war film adapted from a story by Graham Greene and directed by Alberto Cavalcanti. It was produced by Michael Balcon of Ealing Studios and served as unofficial propaganda for the war effort. The film shows a Southern English village taken over by German paratroopers, reflects the greatest potential nightmare for the British public of the time, although the threat of German invasion had largely receded by that point... "

"..In 2005 it was named as one of the "100 Greatest War Films" in a poll by Britain's Channel 4. The 1975 book, The Eagle Has Landed, and the later film use some of the same ideas.

In July 2010, StudioCanal and the British Film Institute National Archive released a restoration of the Went the Day Well? to significant critical acclaim. Tom Huddleston of Time Out termed it "jawdroppingly subversive. Cavalcanti establishes, with loving care and the occasional wry wink, the ultimate bucolic English scene, then takes an almost sadistic delight in tearing it to bloody shreds in an orgy of shockingly blunt, matter-of-fact violence." When the restored film opened at Film Forum in New York City in 2011, A.O. Scott of The New York Times called it "undeservedly forgotten... [H]ome-front propaganda has rarely seemed so cutthroat or so cunning." .."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035429/
By Rob P
This ^^^^^ is a real gem, a precursor to The Eagle Has Landed without Donald Sutherland's comedy Irish accent.

Rob P
kanga, Rjk983 liked this
By nallen
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
^^^ Absolutely agree -- it's a terrific film.
Rob P, Rjk983 liked this