For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
I expect that showing (and reshowing, and remaking/renarrating while reusing many old clips) such programmes are relatively cheap and (under lockdown, preventing or complicating the making of wholly new programmes) easy 'timefillers' with a likely reasonable audience for many TV channels :wink:
For those who like detective series:

Marcella
Series 1 & 2 available on Netflix, all 3 series available on ITV hub

Also, The Fall, on Netflix

I am also eagerly awaiting the latest series of Line of Duty, on the BBC, but obviously can’t binge this one, (Yet).
By akg1486
white light wrote:For those who like detective series:

Marcella
Series 1 & 2 available on Netflix, all 3 series available on ITV hub

I just watched all three seasons: first was good, second ok, third I should have given a miss. Interesting that they hired a Swedish writer (the creator of The Bridge) for a British series.

I've also just re-watched a favourite: all six seasons of The Americans. Heartily recommended, especially for those who remember the 80s. (Which, I suspect, is a healthy majority of Forumites. :D )
By kanga
akg1486 wrote:..

I've also just re-watched a favourite: all six seasons of The Americans. Heartily recommended, especially for those who remember the 80s. (Which, I suspect, is a healthy majority of Forumites. :D )

Much rang very true for me, having been in DoD in Washington in the early '80s :roll:
By TheKentishFledgling
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:

Much rang very true for me, having been in DoD in Washington in the early '80s :roll:

Blimey, @kanga - your career was clearly very different to how I imagined it :shock: :D
kanga liked this
By Flyingfemme

Where is it available now? I lived , and worked, in the US for a couple of years early/mid 80s and it was pretty much what we saw on tv then - loved it at the time.
By akg1486
Flyingfemme wrote:

Where is it available now? I lived , and worked, in the US for a couple of years early/mid 80s and it was pretty much what we saw on tv then - loved it at the time.

It's on Amazon Prime where I live, but @TheKentishFledgling confirmed that is true also in the UK.

Just in case there's confusion: The Americans is set in 1981-1987, but it's not a show from then. But the cars, computers, fashion, etc are all very much recognizable.
By akg1486
TheKentishFledgling wrote:From now on I'll consider you and Philip Jennings as interchangeable!

The actor who plays Philip, Matthew Rhys, has Welsh as his mother tounge, so also quite the linguist: in the show he sounds 100% American, although I've read on IMDB that his normal accent in English is quite a heavy Welsh one.
kanga liked this
By Rob P
Is it just me that wants to see Shaun Evans (Endeavour) and Jodie Comer (Killing Eve) in a two-hander using their real accents?

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yep: I could kill a tub of popcorn and a few tinnies watching those two.

First noticed Jodie Comer as the wayward daughter in the first Doctor Foster series and felt she had great things to come:
She didn't disappoint :wink:
Creating a psychopathic assassin that one could come to admire, nay love, was a tour de force.....
By kanga
TheKentishFledgling wrote:From now on I'll consider you and Philip Jennings as interchangeable!

:oops:

no physical, nationality, career nor villainy resemblances, I assure you; nor, as far as I was aware, did any Elizabeth nor Philip Jennings try to suborn, let alone seduce, me :wink: