For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rusty eagle
I like to explore the country from the air or ground, so think this is a good initiative. Summary and url below:

'This is an important, positive and timely project. Walking can improve health and wellbeing, tackle the climate and ecological emergencies, save people money, improve our environment and bring joy to people's lives.

While there are thousands of miles of paths linking places across the country, there isn't a comprehensive network designed to help people walk off-road between all towns and cities. That’s what the Slow Ways project aims to do.

The Slow Ways distinctive geometric network will make it easier for people to see, imagine, plan, navigate and share journeys. With each route starting and finishing in populated places, the Slow Ways will make it easier and more affordable for people to go on short, medium and long distance journeys too.'

https://slowways.uk/
JAFO, eltonioni, leiafee liked this
By Propwash
At the risk of being controversial:

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 hour walk using mostly footpaths around local open spaces. We are very lucky that we live close to an abundance of such footpaths which link up and offer a wide variety of views, gradients and interest. Today the weather is beautiful, if slightly chilly, but the weather has been unusually wet recently so we were suitably dressed in boots, gaiters and walking clothes. Despite this parts of some footpaths were all but impassable without sinking into deep mud, caused not by feet but bikers who have churned up the wet ground. Where suitable gates and styles have been positioned to limit access to pedestrians they simply lift their mountain bikes over them. Prohibition signs are simply ignored.

What should have been an enjoyable and relaxing, if physically exerting, walk became something of an endurance exercise. I am not opposed to people cycling but I wish they would respect footpaths that are designed and intended for pedestrians. In this area there are any number of off-road bridle ways which they can use instead. I suspect that this worthy project will fall prey to similar abuse.

PW
JAFO, Shoestring Flyer liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would hazard a guess that most people dont know the difference between a footpath and a bridleway today - regardless of a sign on a post. It is "somewhere I can go out in the countryside according to my phone" and I suspect if you tried to educate someone about the difference they wouldnt believe you.
By johnm
What a wizard idea! We're always trawling library and web for new places to go walking. The complex web of footpaths, permissive paths, bridleways, restricted by-ways and green-ways takes some understanding I have to say....
By Propwash
skydriller wrote:I would hazard a guess that most people dont know the difference between a footpath and a bridleway today - regardless of a sign on a post.

Probably true, but those who do, or don't but can still read, simply don't care. It is a sign of the different attitudes towards fellow citizens today from those of most people several decades ago when I was young. The signs of that change are all around us sadly, and this is just a small example. I blame colour television. :wink:

PW
By mick w
Charliesixtysix wrote:I'm pretty sure the canals started out as commercial waterways, so it is probably the recreational towpath walkers who should go for a dunking first :wink:

But if not for the walkers , would the Towpaths remain??. :wink: