For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
Just had a chat with our postie on the doorstep:
He's just returned to work after 10 days self isolation after a manager in the sorting office tested positive and forced 30+ staff into isolation.

Hopefully our mail will return to normal now :roll:
johnm liked this
By TheKentishFledgling
On the subject of Royal Mail, I posted a house warming card to a friend, first class, on 22nd. The destination address is about six miles from where it was posted. It was delivered yesterday. Now I accept it was over Christmas / NY, and of course there's Covid to take into account, but that's pretty shocking to me.
By skydriller
TheKentishFledgling wrote: I posted a house warming card to a friend, first class, on 22nd. The destination address is about six miles from where it was posted. It was delivered yesterday.

I wonder if the Royal Mail have been taking lessons from Fed-Ex in the US...Your letter probably went via a UK central depot in Newcastle or something. But at least it got delivered - my experience recently has been that stuff just goes "missing" - Royal Mail blames La Poste, and La Poste blames Royal Mail...I now pay the extra 3-4 Euro for internet tracking every time, no issues so far.

Regards, SD..
By kanga
TheKentishFledgling wrote:On the subject of Royal Mail, I posted a house warming card to a friend, first class, on 22nd. The destination address is about six miles from where it was posted. It was delivered yesterday. Now I accept it was over Christmas / NY, and of course there's Covid to take into account, but that's pretty shocking to me.

One of our neighbours gets an annual Christmas Card from a US correspondent who always (~20 years) puts our house number on the address. No problem taking it round. It normally arrives early December. This year it arrived late last week. I have no idea whether the delay was with USPS, Royal Mail, or both; and perhaps USPS was particularly busy handling all those extra 'mail-in ballots' :roll:
By Cessna571
It must be highly regional, we sent a bottle of wine and some relaxing bath salts to a friend in Cumbria, from Cambridge.

Posted on Monday lunchtime, get a txt from friend on Tuesday morning, my wife says “oh, that’s Rosemary”, and I said “she can’t have got that parcel already!”

But she had, and so had my sister in law, who we posted a parcel to.

Today we are trying the new “pickup service”, 72p to pick a parcel, that’s going to be amazing if it works.
By johnm
I'm guessing that some offices are short staffed due Covid and thus a backlog builds up....
By Miscellaneous
Not just covid @johnm, a local posty (not ours) was telling me our posty is only working 2 days a week due a back injury and they are struggling to find a replacement. As a consequence we are not getting a delivery every day.