For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
Wick no longer has a post office - a van sets up in a car park a couple of times a week. As I’ve said before, if I send a first class letter to a neighbour, it goes 120 miles down to Inverness, gets area sorted, then back to a small area sorting office in Wick, then out to via posties van.
I wonder how they manage to get mail to Knoydart, mentioned in the other thread.
By stevelup
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:And whilst I am in whinge mode, have you had the misfortune to need to go to a Post Office recently? Horrendous queues with people sending parcels (not a letter in sight).

You can stick a letter in a postbox, but you can't shove a parcel in there!

They have addressed this - you can book a home collection now for up to five items:-

https://www.royalmail.com/collection

It has not been heavily promoted yet.
By Flying_john
You dont have to go to the post office there are dozens of ebay sellers either selling surplus stock or philatelic items incl 1st and 2nd stamps. I see there are employees selling their Xmas bonus stamps given to staff.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1st+class+stamps&_sacat=0&rt=nc&Quality=Mint%2520Never%2520Hinged%252FMNH&_dcat=3506
By stevelup
Colonel Panic wrote:I had seen the collection thing, but if the shop queues are anything to go by it hasn't met with wide adoption!

Maybe that's because only doddering old fools go to the Post Office :lol:
By rikur_
Flying_john wrote:You dont have to go to the post office there are dozens of ebay sellers either selling surplus stock or philatelic items incl 1st and 2nd stamps

I wonder how many are legit, and how many are printed in a local lock-up?
stevelup wrote:Maybe that's because only doddering old fools go to the Post Office

Where else do you buy your postal orders? :twisted:
By JAFO
Many years ago I was working in London for a week or so and met a young lady who was visiting from the United States. I still remember her asking me if the Royal Mail was just stuff for the Queen or whether we all could use it.

I remember other things too but this isn't the time or place.
cockney steve liked this
By rikur_
Colonel Panic wrote:100 Second Class stamps are £65 on Royal Mail's website (free 2 day delivery).

The top four hits on Amazon are £81.90, £78.50, £94.98 and £81.50 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Presumably the difference is that Amazon doesn't sell items that are not in stock?
I tried the Royal Mail option, free 2 day delivery actually seems to mean an email a week after you placed your order to tell you that they are out of stock, and will be dispatched when they are back in stock, whenever that might be.
By JAFO
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:They live amongst us, and are allowed the vote.

Someone on her asked the other day why news outlets pitched their output at primary school level.

You know how smart the average Brit is? Well, for them to be average, half are even more stupid.
By eltonioni
There's a full book of red first class stamps in the drawer, bought about fifteen years ago. Might pop them in the retirement plan.
JAFO, Flyin'Dutch' liked this