For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
stevelup wrote:I don't think I'll tire of this.

Nor will I.
0-8000 km/h and back to 0 in eight minutes, it's stunning every time. Launch weight for the Falcon 9 is about 500 tons.

The release of the satellites is of benefit, but the Stage 1 recovery is the spectacle!

I seem to recall an arranged but public conversation within SpaceX about why they use thrust to bring Stage 1 back instead of parachutes; the answer was about weight and reliability and reusability...it was easier & cheaper to carry the re-entry fuel all the way up there and back again, than risk parachute failure (and the cost and weight and loss of the 'chutes & pyrotechnics).

:thumright:
Trent772, Colonel Panic liked this
I will never get rocketry. I can't comprehend that you can control the thrust so accurately that the whole thing doesn't immediately topple and go out of control, like trying to balance a pencil on your finger and push it up towards the ceiling, and then to bring it back to earth again so it lands like the aforementioned pencil (well OK some Xmas tree stand legs came out) is just mind boggling.
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Its now becoming normality to have boosters used again and again - that's one of them up to 7 reuses with one of the launches 51 days after a previous launch . They are doing launches every other week now (23 so far this year). This was unimaginable 6 years ago!
stevelup wrote:The other thing that’s amazing is you can - literally - book a payload slot on their website.

I know! I appreciate their pricing (the same as booking an Amazon package delivery)! Last I saw was $62M, down from $96M, for 22,800kg to Low Earth Orbit. I doubt NASA could have done it for that 30 years ago!

Their Falcon Users Guide(pdf) is a handy guide to the capabilities.

Prices are here(pdf)
:thumright:
Charles Hunt wrote:I will never get rocketry. I can't comprehend that you can control the thrust so accurately that the whole thing doesn't immediately topple and go out of control, like trying to balance a pencil on your finger and push it up towards the ceiling, and then to bring it back to earth again so it lands like the aforementioned pencil (well OK some Xmas tree stand legs came out) is just mind boggling.

Well, it's literally "rocket science". :D
johnm liked this