For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Buzzc150
Howdy

I'd like to find a home wifi set up that gives a strong signal across the entire house. We are starting an extension build in January so I want to find the best options.
At the moment our old BT router does a pretty good job but it doesn't quite make it to the far side of the house or to the garage. The distances aren't too great, it's probably the walls that are the issue.
I've heard 'mesh' systems mentioned before, but don't really understand what they are. I once bought a cheapish wifi extender from Amazon but it was totally useless ; whilst it gave a strong signal the speed was almost zero. With 2 kids not too far off being teenagers, I'll need a wifi system that can handle 4 people simultanuously streaming movies , playing video games, music etc. Our current fibre cable isn't super fast but is certainly up to the job (around 24 down and 5 up). It just doesn't reach across the whole house.

Any thoughts or recommendations ?
By Flyin'Dutch'
Indeed Mesh system is the way to go.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk the place to go.

will see if I can find what we got. Works very well.

https://www.broadbandbuyer.com/store/wi ... ss-points/

Steve Lupton - is the man for detailed advice
Last edited by Flyin'Dutch' on Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rikur_
I'll be controversial - avoid mesh if you can. IMHO the best domestic option is a single wireless access point well located. I've got a ceiling mount at the top of the stairs in the middle of the house, which is hardwired via cat5e back to the router. In my case a TPlink EAP225, but any good quality dual band should do the job.

if you can't get one wireless access point to cover the lot, then mesh is the proper solution. That said I had an adequate experience with two plain old WAPs and no mesh, it just depends how smart your wifi devices are at checking whether a stronger access point is available.
Colonel Panic wrote:
One thing though - if building an extension I would strongly urge you to put ethernet ports in as many walls as possible. However good wifi might be, it can never match wired for reliability ...

^ and what he said. (At this moment I have 30 wired devices, and 33 wireless devices connected to our home network :shock: )
By Fellsteruk
Unable to talk to other mesh systems but I have plume and had it over a year and works a dream zero dead spots in the house/garden, also comes with some great features for device management
By Flying badger
These were recommended to me....after years of deadspots and wifi boosters that kept needing resetting, Ubiquiti solved all my problems. I bought an extra booster unit (3 total) so my 3 storey house has wifi throughout, plus in the garden.
Very easy to set up.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-AFI-Amplifi-WiFi-Router/dp/B01L9O08PW/ref=sr_1_24?crid=1XVZT4OXOJT1Z&dchild=1&keywords=ubiquiti&qid=1605901844&sprefix=ubi%2Caps%2C163&sr=8-24&th=1
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By PeteSpencer
Colonel Panic wrote:I switched from an Apple Airport based network to a Unifi one about a year ago, and have never looked back.

One thing though - if building an extension I would strongly urge you to put ethernet ports in as many walls as possible. However good wifi might be, it can never match wired for reliability ...

We had ethernet cable/socket plates installed during building 4 years ago:Cables run from BTHub in hallway > Supplies main rooms, man cave, lounge, kitchen, rest of house more that satisfactorily supplied by BT Hub 2 and a coupla wi-fi discs: Full signal allover and most of patio and back garden.

(Much better than wifi cr ap extender from a few years ago which I binned in favour of Solway (S.Lup recommendation) through the mains extender in our old house which was long and solid brick.)

Brilliant BT signal for Ring doorbell and black friday cheapo Ring camera/spotlight going up to cover dark back of house next week.

So Netflix and Firestick stuff broadband is wired to lounge telly, bedrooms wi-fi.

Also had doubled up satellite cable so Satellite stuff from main Sky box can be fed to all other bedrooms using 'magic eye' on spare analogue channels: Fine for visitors and grandkids: Only drawback is same channel has to be watched!, but channels can be changed from any room.

Only problem yet to be addressed is wifi signal to Spotlight camera I'm planning on installing on side fence 'looking back' at house...........May need to fit it on side of house instead.

I've looked at all the posh stuff mentioned on here but figure I'm too far down the BT/Ring path now to change it all....................

Peter
By Dangerman
I have a TP-Link Deco M5 3-pack, which I am really pleased with. It operates well with the first one plugged into the router and the other two communicating wirelessly around the house, but for best speeds you can also connect the others via ethernet back to the router. You can mix and match; I have got two connected via ethernet at either end of the house and the third, in the middle of the house, communicating with the others wirelessly. So, as said above, if you are building an extension then make sure you run ethernet cable to there while you can easily do it.
By riverrock
On the "don't understand" part of your question:
3 ways to extend your wifi:

1. An extender. These receive WiFi, then rebroadcast it. They need good quality signal to provide good quality signal. Can be useful for going round a particular corner and are cheap, but generally don't do a lot of good. Some I believe mesh ( BT discs) but many are really their own access points ( difference below).

2. Additional Access Points. These recieve a network connection in a way other than WiFi ( a network cable or power line adapter) and provide a new WiFi connection from that location. Typically they are setup with the same name and encryption details as the primary access point but they don't have to be. A moving device ( say a phone) only connects to one WiFi point at a time ( although most can scan for other access points while remaining connected). If you move nearer a new access point, your phone has to disconnect from the first access point before reconnecting to the second. This will cause a momentary loss of connection. Different phones are better at this than others.

3. Mesh network. The network system actively manages which node you are connected to rather than leaving it up to your phone. You should move seamlessly from one to the other. Most systems will only broadcast the data that is designed for you, maximising the radio bandwidth, and they will use appropriate channels to not interfere with each other. You normally manage all devices in one place, rather than each node needing their own admin pages. A superior system.
Flyin'Dutch', rikur_ liked this
By PeteSpencer
AndyR wrote:Blimey @PeteSpencer , and you say you’re no good at IT?!
Good effort :thumleft:

Hardly!

The stuff I buy is effectively ‘plug and play’ straight out of the box, with help from a fairly simple App.

It’s when it doesn’t work first time that I struggle .

The Ring ‘snooze’ function had me foxed for a while till I deselected the ‘default’ setting.

Must say so far the Ring system has suited my simple needs Just debating ATM whether to pay a small sub for cloud image storage.
By johnm
We've got simple TP link extenders, one wi fi rebroadcast and one ethernet through the mains power circuit. They work pretty reliably and according to speedtest.net can carry the full speed of our fibre to the house connection. (30 mb in both directions)
By GrahamB
Buzzc150 wrote:Thanks for all the good info.

Coincidentally, I've just been messing around with my ORBI mesh system, relocating one of the satellites to get a better signal coverage at the far end of the house.

They're not the cheapest system (although I got mine from the Apple store on an offer that made them cheaper than from elsewhere on Amazon) but perform well and are a doddle to set up and administer.
By Buzzc150
So, would I be right in saying that if the fastest speeds I get from my fibre cable are around 26mbps there would be no point spending a lot of cash on a mesh system that can do 800mbps (as I’ll never get faster than what comes out of the cable) ?