For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
OK, I know I am not really allowed to listen to this being male, and generally I find it tedious. Lengthy pieces about an all-female Macbeth, followed by items about why white actors shouldn't be playing roles of (pauses while he searches for today's phrase) people of colour, all without a hint of irony.

But today they had as a guest Farhana Yamin, An internationally recognised environmental lawyer, climate change and development policy expert making good points about the fossil fuel companies and greenwashing. Then lots of stuff about that "WE IN BRITAIN" should be doing more and how we outsource our dirty industries etc etc etc

Then the lady running the interview (Jane Garvey I think) pointed out that Yamin herself had four children. The frantic obfuscation that followed is almost worth i-playering

Hypocrisy rules.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flyingfemme, Nick liked this
By Bill Haddow
I look forward to hearing that when the episode becomes available on Beeb Sounds.

Yes, Wummens' Hour often offers up a rich seam of amusement.

Bill H

PS It really only lasts for 45 minutes, but hey, what's temporal accuracy to the sisterhood!
By romille
Bill Haddow wrote:.

PS It really only lasts for 45 minutes, but hey, what's temporal accuracy to the sisterhood!

I'm surprised it doesn't last three hours, when my wife tells me she will be ready in 10 minutes it usually means at least half an hour. :lol:
Flyin'Dutch', Nick liked this
By JAFO
It's always struck me as quite sexist. There are only two possible messages that havings "Woman's Hour" sends out:

Either men do not get an hour while women do or the other 23 hours are for men and women should not bother their little heads with such things.

Neither strikes me as right.
Rob P, Boxkite, Colonel Panic and 2 others liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Tbh I am glad she has more than 2 kids. Those children will eventually be 4 responsible adults paying my pension when they start work :thumleft:
And I suspect they are no worse for the environment than firing up a choice of gas-guzzling hobby machines, or is it hypocrisy you are concerned about?

Who'd be an environmental campaigner, eh?

No, I am not particularly enviro-friendly myself, but I have avoided having pets so as to reduce THAT carbon footprint which is pretty tricky to justify.

My imaginary cat is now amongst the pigeons though, I suspect.
Flyin'Dutch', townleyc liked this
By TopCat
Rob P wrote:Hypocrisy rules.

Thank goodness for that.

It's such a relief when we discover that a climate-change campaigner has done something in his or her life that is inconsistent with the overall goal of avoiding catastrophic climate change.

Such as, if they've had children in this case, or have ever travelled by aeroplane, or if they own a car.

It means that we can confidently disregard everything they say on the topic.

Phew!
T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
T6Harvard wrote:
And I suspect they are no worse for the environment than firing up a choice of gas-guzzling hobby machines, or is it hypocrisy you are concerned about?

I fear your suspicions are unfounded

... a recent Swedish study that found that having one fewer child per family can save an average of 58.6 tonnes of carbon every year. The next biggest carbon saving you could make is by going car-free, saving a minuscule-by-comparison 2.4 tonnes

Rob P
By Paul_Sengupta
Rob P wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:

... a recent Swedish study that found that having one fewer child per family can save an average of 58.6 tonnes of carbon every year. The next biggest carbon saving you could make is by going car-free, saving a minuscule-by-comparison 2.4 tonnes

Rob P

And I suspect that's just for the first generation. Further down the line it'll be a very large number.

Just worked out that 70 hours a year at 30 litres an hour generates about 4.83 tonnes of CO2. Again, absolutely miniscule in comparison to the cumulative effect of more human beings down the line.

There's a religious elephant in the room but I'm certainly not going to go there.
Rob P, Supercat liked this
By T6Harvard
Rob P wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:

Rob P

Very good.... you ignored the other machines and the hypocrisy.

I am happy to accept that feeding and clothing kids takes more resources than running a car and maybe even other machines we are all so fond of. I therefore promise never to have any kids. Or aircraft/motorbikes. Or pets.
My environmental conscience is now clear :lol:
*a completely incomplete comparison of course, but I haven't got the energy to set out all the related energy of manufacture, transport, by-products, manuf and transport of fuel etc etc, that one would need to put in the equation.
By Pete L
Rob P wrote:Only if Amandine comes out as gay.

Rob P :bounce:

Confused...the Swedish Rock Band, the French Mathematician or the feminist? I left out the footballer (and she looks nothing at all like Thierry).
By Bill Haddow
Bill Haddow wrote:I look forward to hearing that when the episode becomes available on Beeb Sounds.

Mmm, normally stuff is available on Sounds very soon after the end of the broadcast, but this is still "Currently not available". Being sanitised, perchance?

Bill H
By JAFO
Pete L wrote:
Rob P wrote:Only if Amandine comes out as gay.

Rob P :bounce:

Confused...the Swedish Rock Band, the French Mathematician or the feminist? I left out the footballer (and she looks nothing at all like Thierry).

I thought it was a chocolate cake, there again, I do tend to hope most things are a chocolate cake as I'm on a pre-Christmas diet.
Pete L liked this
By Rob P
Pete L wrote:Confused...the Swedish Rock Band, the French Mathematician or the feminist? I left out the footballer

A young woman we met at De Drei Kalders in St Omer a while ago. Part of forum legend now.

The forum search could be your friend.

Rob P
Pete L, Iceman liked this