For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
B*****d!

It seems nothing I can do gets my weight below 11st 13lb

What's the secret (beyond being under 5ft 6?)

Rob P
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
5 ft 7 10 stone 9 eat less do more :-)
Nick liked this
By romille
Just over 6ft and tip the scales at 12st 9lbs but the practice nurse who is the shape of a cannon ball tut tuts as my BMI is 24 so perhaps I should consider losing a bit. Foxtrot Oscar is the answer....I think.
By skydriller
Rob P wrote:B*****d!

Rob P

Jeez, you guys!! :shock: The last time I saw less than 14 stone was after a month or so in the desert on an enforced diet of couscous and chicken stew... and I was told on getting home "you look ill".

Right now locked down, Im happy if Im 15 stone...!!

Regards, SD..
mick w, flybymike, AndyR and 1 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
COVID has spurred on my weight loss programme which started in January
My AME worked out my BMI in October andI’m pleased to say I’ve dropped into the next lowest category compared with last year .,.. :wink:
By eltonioni
Rob P wrote:B*****d!

Rob P

More metrics? After battling weight for years it was having more data to track that made the difference.
Maybe try scales which give a body fat % reading, it might put things into a better perspective.

Carrying 13 stone / 16% @ 5'11" ish my BMi is 26 and I can see that need to work on the spare tyre but the other metrics of resting heart rate of 42 and a VO2 Max of 50 @ 52 is decent fitness for age.

Oh, and Mrs E getting us both using the MyFitnessPal app to record the calories that go in. That's had the biggest effect - weight control happens in the supermarket, but she's cleverer than me like that. ;)
Rob P liked this
By Rob P
I was doing fine at 11st 13lb and 5ft 10in, my height 50 years ago

However, advancing years and an unfortunate EFATO have combined, such that when I checked I find I am now 5ft 8in, consequently booting my BMI across from "Acceptable" to "Pie-Eating Fat B*****d"

Do not check your height, stick with what you have always been. You'll be happier like that.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
eltonioni, MikeE liked this
By Propwash
PeteSpencer wrote:COVID has spurred on my weight loss programme which started in January
My AME worked out my BMI in October andI’m pleased to say I’ve dropped into the next lowest category compared with last year .,.. :wink:

Lucky you. :(

For all my adult life I have never had to worry about my weight. I could seemingly eat and drink whatever I liked without obvious effect on it. I was necessarily active at work which probably helped. Even after retiring I remained active and for the last 20 years my weight was always at or around 12½ stones. At 6'00'' that was a good fighting weight for me. Last winter, due to a combination of things but mainly a surfeit of eating out on 3 separate holidays, I discovered that I had put on half a stone and tipped over 13 stones for the first time in my life. I resolved to lose it over the summer. Then lockdown happened.

I have had the opposite experience and actually put on another 2 pounds. :shock: I have this week embarked upon a serious weight loss programme: increased length of walks; cutting down food portions; no beer. :pale:

I am determined to lose at least half a stone and hopefully a bit more. And to do it by Christmas. :thumleft:

PW
johnm liked this
By PeteSpencer
I like to lose my weight in increments of half a stone.

My programme was triggered by one of my twin grandsons stepping onto our bathroom scales at 2 st 7lb. in January;

Then I picked him up and realised that even if I lost a 'XXXXXX' in weight I would still be waaay overweight.

I now seem to have stalled at 2/3 of a 'XXXXXX' but will finish by Xmas.

@Propwash I can lose 2lb instantly with a good early morning dump, hence my 1/2 stone meaningful target increments. :lol:

If I cut out booze and biscuits the weight just falls off.

Problem is I've started cooking in industrial proportions of all the tasty stuff I like:

Exercise? wossat?

Edit: Names changed to protect the innocent
Last edited by PeteSpencer on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Propwash liked this
By johnm
We take a fair amount of exercise working around house and garden and walking in the country, 7 miles this weekend. More to come as we head for grandchildren.

We've found that portion control on food makes a big difference and a silly but effective help is simply to eat off smaller plates. We also buy smaller portions from the butcher and the farmers and if that's not possible we buy the big ones and split them ourselves.
By Bill McCarthy
I went into my usual butcher last week ( a rare moment of escape) intending to get a half kilo of steak mince but ended up buying a selection of stuff, coming to £40. So much for self control.
The last time I put fuel in the car was sometime last February - not good - there could be all sorts of nasties growing in the tank and filters. Ran ok though.