For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Jim Jones
". Attrition is predicted by a range of variables in ALSPAC including lower educational level, male gender, non-White ethnicity, and eligibility for free school meals."

The attrition was 47%, mostly with the above. characteristics The study was therefore mainly of white females from non-poor backgrounds. That alone make me think :scratch:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By flyingdoug
Less sleep is a key part in my opinion. I read an interesting book: "Why We Sleep" in which the author argues that we've never slept less and that it's a significant factor in many of the health problems which are on the increase in modern society (for youths and adults).

It's a really interesting topic - for something fundamental to life (you'll die if you don't sleep) it isn't really taken that seriously. If anything, it's seen as a sign of strength to brag about how little sleep you have.
JAFO, T6Harvard, flybymike liked this
By OCB
Lack of “quality” sleep has been on the radar of health professionals and pop science bods for decades.

The advent of sports/fitness/health watches from FitBit, Apple and Garmin etc appears to have re-awakened (errr) that debate.

Hydration, activity levels, peak heart rate, BMI, good v bad fats, good v bad calories, number of times per week/month/year you do or don’t have nookie, which vitamins prevent ageing or cancer or Covid etc - they’re interesting subjects academically on their own, but IMHO the clearest indicator yet that our messed up “western” fascination with the detail versus the whole picture serves us well for a while, but has come full circle and now biting us in our fat lazy artses.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Charles Hunt wrote:I'd have a nap if they weren't busy backfilling a trench outside!

You could give them a hand - they'd finish quicker and the exercise will help your sleep :D
T6Harvard liked this
By Bill McCarthy
I reckon that an average four hours sleep, six if I was lucky, In boat service, has disrupted mine ever since. I always wake up at any time between 02.00 and 03.30.
By CloudHound
Hans-Christian Andersen went to sleep with a note pinned to his nightgown saying “I am not dead” as he had a fear of being buried alive.

It worked every time but once.
By Charles Hunt
Granny Weatherwax improved it with something like "I aten't dead."

Edit, a quick google suggests the letters are in the right place, and you can put the apostrophe where you like.