For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Miscellaneous wrote:
Propwash wrote:Plockton.

:thumright: :thumright:
As many will know, a lovely village in a fantastic setting. It so happens we took a long overdue drive to Plockton for lunch last week. It must be around 18 months since we flew in for a spot of lunch and a walk?

We are way overdue a drive across the Bealach na Bà for lunch in Applecross. Must get that attended to. :D

It must be 40+ years since I was last in Applecross. Enjoy and give it my regards. :thumright:

Plockton has always been a special place, but I recall it from my boyhood, before television arrived and all the entertainment had to be home made. The village had a visiting cinema once a fortnight (I think) but the films were always about 2 years after I had seen them at my local Odeon in London. I didn't tell them. :wink: They did lots of good stuff with the village hall too, like dances, flower shows etc. and the yearly sailing competitions. I loved the children's race during my summer holidays. I used to be put on the train at the start of school holidays and stayed with my mother's folks until term started again. It was a very different world from London where I lived. Eating out choices were limited to the Hotel or the single tea rooms run from the owner's front room overlooking the loch and castle. Just one village shop and a post office.

It was featured in the original Wicker Man film and several of the villagers I knew were "extras", which made me laugh when I saw it in the 1970s. The TV show Hamish MacBeth also used it for the fictional village of Loch Dubh. It is now a Scottish Hetitage village I believe. It has been a few years since I last visited but when I did a Google Earth street view last year it was both different and the same. It would be a tragedy if its steadily increasing popularity altered its character too much. Nothing could spoil the view.

How far are you from Plockton?

PW
Nick liked this
Propwash wrote:It would be a tragedy if its steadily increasing popularity altered its character too much. Nothing could spoil the view.

Some would argue the tradegy has already struck as it has become popular for holiday homes. :(

Some changes are positive though.

All the latest blockbusters in comfort.

It is also the place for trad music. :thumright:

It's difficult to get decent pics. I'm not comfortable flying at the height of choice for pics in the vicinity of the airfield, so when in the area I tend to stay well above. On occasion I'll join the circuit and do a fly by. Not the most advisable time to be thinking of pics though. :D

Plockton bottom centre, bay to the right.

Plockton bottom left, airfield left of centre.

Approach to 02.

Propwash, T6Harvard, Nick liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
@Miscellaneous , I say 'not easy to live somewhere like that' due to the unexpected events that require something from the outside world. My parents lived on the other coast in a small village. All very lovely but when illness strikes the hosp is 75 miles away. DIY repairs of household items etc are ok if you can get the parts (mail now but prev meant at least 40 mile return trip to hardware store). Even fuel for car and mower is some distance away. It all needs much more planning and a bit of luck to live the good life. And Propwash has a good point about the midges! My dad was a pretty tough guy but even he quailed when faced with mowing on a still damp day :shock:

Personally I could happily live somewhere off the beaten track but it's not for everyone, thankfully!

*** Greats photos btw. The Flyer forum seems to be turning into a super photo gallery.
T6Harvard wrote:Personally I could happily live somewhere off the beaten track but it's not for everyone, thankfully!

I absolutely agree, it's not for everyone. Thank the giddy Lord for that. :thumright:

That said the perception is oft far from the reality. It's an interesting discussion and IME the objections most offer are not real. Some thoughts.
T6Harvard wrote:I say 'not easy to live somewhere like that' due to the unexpected events that require something from the outside world.

Whilst I won't wholeheartedly disagree, I'd argue the occurence of such events is so infrequent and the incovenience so insignificant, it's a small price to pay.
T6Harvard wrote:All very lovely but when illness strikes the hosp is 75 miles away.

That's true I'm mindful of Bill McCarthy's story about his brother. However, it's important to consider the whole picture and not dwell only on the potential downside.

Generally that's a view held by incomers. It doesn't seem to enter the heads of natives.
There's the possibility the lifestyle itself is healthier and better for longevity, less need for docs.
There's certainly a better GP service, with a more preventative approach.
I have a friend from Essex who is 100% convinced the local GP (previous address) diagnosed a brain tumour and took immediate action that saved his life.
I recall having a 'consultation' whilst out kayaking. :D
There's generally a better community spirit than in many towns.
T6Harvard wrote:DIY repairs of household items etc are ok if you can get the parts (mail now but prev meant at least 40 mile return trip to hardware store). Even fuel for car and mower is some distance away. It all needs much more planning and a bit of luck to live the good life.

Does it though? It's true it's not as easy to call in a pizza, or Indian, however one tends to be out and about passing fuel stations and shops. If not then a tank of fuel is going to go a long way.

The reality is what is perceived as inconvenient simply becomes part of life and never given a second thought.

Nearest proper shop 23 miles, similar for fuel. Although we seldom use the closest. Never ran out of milk, nor diesel, yet. :wink:
T6Harvard wrote:And Propwash has a good point about the midges! My dad was a pretty tough guy but even he quailed when faced with mowing on a still damp day :shock:

Give me the midges for a few non windy days of the summer in exchange for a population density of 6, 7 or 8 sq/km over the permanent 4700 sq/km of Mnachester, or 5700sq/km of London, with associated pollution, all day long. :D Again it's a matter of perspective. :D

Personally the idea of basing the choice of where to live on there being a hospital, B&Q, or Tesco's close by is illogical. Again, for me, the better lifestyle it affords is worth the increased risk of me dropping and dying before help can reach me. Who knows it could be a better outcome than being kept artificially alive in a city hospital. :wink: Be a bugger to forego the pleasures of rural living to live next to a hospital all my life and never need it. :wink:
T6Harvard wrote:*** Greats photos btw. The Flyer forum seems to be turning into a super photo gallery.

Thanks, I do my best to try and celebrate flying on a flying forum. :wink: IMO there's not enough of it.
T6Harvard, JAFO, Rjk983 and 2 others liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:I absolutely agree, it's not for everyone. Thank the giddy Lord for that. :thumright:

Indeed. In the same way that city living is loved by some and abhorred by others. It is the fact that we are all different in our tastes, dreams and choices that makes us what we are as a species. It would be very crowded, even by London standards, if everybody wished to live on the Isle of Mull to enjoy the Highland experience. I don't believe that anywhere is perfect because Utopia doesn't exist in the real world. Everywhere humans live, from the poles to the tropics, have advantages and disadvantages; which are deemed to outweigh the other is a matter of perspective, circumstances and choice. There are no right or wrong decisions (although some are perhaps more free to make alternative choices than others), just personal preferences. Long may we be free to make them.

It is good that Misc so clearly is very happy with the one he has made.

PW
mick w, JAFO, T6Harvard and 2 others liked this
Absolutely @Propwash, but then my posts were an attempt to try and explain the misconceptions of rural living as posted on the thread. I was not criticising city life, or those who choose it.:wink: In so doing I highlighted some factual differences. I think it goes without saying that city life is more attractive to the vast majority. There are even benefits I miss.

Indeed, only this morning I drove the 28 miles for the shopping and considered the level of inconvenience suffered as I drove. It was an interesting excercise to which the conclusion was, rather than there being an inconvenience, it was personally a preferable experience than nipping 2 miles up the road to a Tesco. Sure there was the time and cost and of course if I had time pressures of family or work that may not be the case.
Miscellaneous wrote:
Propwash wrote:Plockton.

:thumright: :thumright:
As many will know, a lovely village in a fantastic setting. It so happens we took a long overdue drive to Plockton for lunch last week. It must be around 18 months since we flew in for a spot of lunch and a walk?

We are way overdue a drive across the Bealach na Bà for lunch in Applecross. Must get that attended to. :D

I generally don’t do the Euromillions...but I have tonight....reading this entire post has made made quite considerably home sick :cry:

I can’t believe it’s been nearly 20 years since I last visited Applecross, and more than 20 since visiting where that hotel is :oops:

I’d even promise to build a serviceable strip close by if I do hit the jackpot :thumright:

@Propwash - Plockton is a magical little place, it’s one of those places I take non-Brit friends to...they genuinely think it was a film set that somehow kept going after the film crew left :lol:
OCB wrote:Plockton is a magical little place, it’s one of those places I take non-Brit friends to...they genuinely think it was a film set that somehow kept going after the film crew left :lol:

I recall my first visit there. It was wiinter with snow on the ground. The sight of palm trees apparently growing out of snow... :shock: :lol:

OCB wrote:...reading this entire post has made made quite considerably home sick :cry:

I don't know whether to apologise for making you homesick, OCB, or tell ye to get yersel to the Applecross Inn and I'll buy you a beer. :wink:

A pic of the Bealach na Bà road climbing to 2000' to entice you. :wink:

mick w, Nick liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:
OCB wrote:Plockton is a magical little place, it’s one of those places I take non-Brit friends to...they genuinely think it was a film set that somehow kept going after the film crew left :lol:

I recall my first visit there. It was wiinter with snow on the ground. The sight of palm trees apparently growing out of snow... :shock: :lol:

OCB wrote:...reading this entire post has made made quite considerably home sick :cry:

I don't know whether to apologise for making you homesick, OCB, or tell ye to get yersel to the Applecross Inn and I'll buy you a beer. :wink:

A pic of the Bealach na Bà road climbing to 2000' to entice you. :wink:

Yup - the palm trees are a classic gotcha. My gf at the time was utterly convinced they were heated over winter etc and a thing just for tourists - that no way palm trees could be growing more than 1000km north of Biaritz.

As for a visit to the ‘cross inn - that’s more up to me whether I turn up in an autogyro or a triumph stag...let’s see how next year goes ;)

Btw - I love the plaque at the summit that says something like “this all weather road was opened by Her Royal Highness Princess Ann, 1973”...with the reality being, before that - those on that part of the mainland still acted like islanders...
OCB wrote:Btw - I love the plaque at the summit that says something like “this all weather road was opened by Her Royal Highness Princess Ann, 1973”...with the reality being, before that - those on that part of the mainland still acted like islanders...

Oh it is a while since you have been across it. :wink:

The walk up to the mast from the summit of the road must be the best views for minimum effort. The 360 panorama is stunning. :thumright:
T6Harvard liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:
OCB wrote:Btw - I love the plaque at the summit that says something like “this all weather road was opened by Her Royal Highness Princess Ann, 1973”...with the reality being, before that - those on that part of the mainland still acted like islanders...

Oh it is a while since you have been across it. :wink:

The walk up to the mast from the summit of the road must be the best views for minimum effort. The 360 panorama is stunning. :thumright:

Ah, I think I know where you are there - that's not far from the "dead centre" of town!

...and for those who like their history, it's where William Hare is buried...

..and yes, some of my countrymen make jokes about graveyards - calling them "dead centres"...if I have to explain that,then all hope for humanity is lost...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burke_and_Hare_murders

I'm struggling to find some of my photos - but there a bit of Plockton and Loch Lomond circa 1996 ..when the Loch Lomond road was still the terrifying minor road with crazed tour-bus drivers hurling round the blind corners at suicidal speeds; it looked so tranquil!
Last edited by OCB on Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
T6Harvard wrote:.. All very lovely but when illness strikes the hosp is 75 miles away...

ah, in Labrador we had a solution :)

http://www.dhc-2.com/49cc35990.jpg

.. although it needed some technical adjustment twice a year:

http://www.dhc-2.com/id186.htm

Happy days!
T6Harvard liked this