For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By rikur_
I've got a glass topped table that has acquired a few scratches. Deep enough to feel with a finger nail, but shallow in the scheme of things.
Has anyone got experience of fixing them? There seem to be two approaches - the liquids you dribble into the crack and polish, or just plain old polishing kits. There seems to be a myriad of both available, many with negative reviews (but is that user incompetence?)
By Gas Guzzler
Forget polishing them out, if you do manage to get rid of them the hollow that's left will stick out like a sore thumb. The fillers may be an option but cleanliness in use is vital. Best of luck
rikur_ liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
New glass plate?
rikur_ liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Get a feature that you like etched or grit blasted on to the table top to cover the defect.
By cockney steve
It's likely to be toughened glass, Highly unlikely to take polishing without a loud bang and a huge heap of tiny glass fragments. You could possibly find a car-spares outlet that has a windscreen-repair kit.

As @Gas Guzzler stated, cleanliness is vital. Something like Xylene or Acetone and paper towel/white toilet tissue to clean the scratches and surrounding surface, deposit the "glue" with the aid of a coc ktail-stick or similar. or even use a razor-blade to spread a bead along the scratch. UV (sunlight) will set it, polishing to make it invisible will be a long, slow process.
There is no miracle-cure to renovate plate -glass, toughened is even harder. (the repair-kits were designed to fill cracks in laminated glass .) :|
rikur_ liked this
By Rob P
+1 vote for Charles's pragmatism.

But I might opt for one of those custom-made models of my aircraft.

"I don't really want the model Mrs P, but the stand will cover up that scratch perfectly."

Rob P
Charles Hunt liked this
By nallen
Flip the glass over and hope the scratches are less noticeable from the other side?
By Charles Hunt
Wasn't there the tale of the hard up chap dismayed by the hollowing out of the family doorstep that he broke it out intending to use it the other way up, only to find that an equally impecunious ancestor had already tried that one.
nallen, rikur_, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
We've got several nice wooden topped tables and have started to put glass on them; you can still enjoy the wood patterns but in everyday life it makes them much more stain, dent, cut resistant.

Maybe once we have all become mature and stop spilling stuff we will get rid of them
By rikur_
Rob L wrote:If you're replacing it, why not replace it with something other than glass? Like a nice wood?

It's a glass top on an oak table .... we ruined a lovely walnut table in the last house, hence the glass on this one.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this