For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Bill McCarthy wrote:I wish we had the climate here to grow such exotic fruits. It’s difficult enough to get any tree or shrub to stand up to the wind.

Well the E Anglian winds nearly got it last week:
Temporary support till I can stake it when leaves have dropped and rest of figs harvested.
It's only 4 years old and the fig crop was just too heavy
Yum! We had a fig tree at our house in Gloucestershire. A gift from a friend, who planted it so she could make sure it was done "properly". She did a grand job because the figs were endless and the tree was only about five feet tall. I miss it.
By PeteSpencer
Bill McCarthy wrote:They look more appealing than the semi dried scrota that you get in Tesco. Do you eat the fresh ones as they are ?

Yep, thumbs in and split 'em open:

The appearance has raised a few raucous comments in the past>

There's a fine line between ripening and dropping off and going mouldy, so I wait till they're nice and soft and going purple/brown on the tree then pick 'em and ripen them off indoors for 24 hours.
Scrummy. :lol:
By PeteSpencer
Flyingfemme wrote:Yum! We had a fig tree at our house in Gloucestershire. A gift from a friend, who planted it so she could make sure it was done "properly". She did a grand job because the figs were endless and the tree was only about five feet tall. I miss it.

We had a fantastic massive 20 year old fig tree in a suntrap corner of our old house which kept us in the most fantastic figs every year. Sadly in 2016 when our old house was demolished to make way for our newbuild the fig tree had to go.

The first thing 'er indoors did when we moved in 4 years ago was to buy me a new fig tree : It surprised us by producing a few figs the following year and has gone barmy every year since.....

They're dead easy to grow but do best against a south facing wall out of the wind.

Peter :wink:
By kanga
The squirrels got all but 2 of the first crop, before they ripened, on our tree; and the second crop now won't ripen. We have had some good years, but it's very hit and miss. I plan to do a major prune this winter.

[also Gloucestershire]